Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Two sides of the Same coin?

Old 06-13-2001, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two sides of the Same coin?

I have two 1999 Elantras. They are both GLS models with automatics and exactly the same options. There are distinct differences between the power of the two cars. The more powerful of the two is bone stock. I bought this car new and it has 60k miles on it. This car will hall ass. I have done nothing but routine matinience and used Mobil one.

The second car, my car, has always been slower and less responsive. I bought this car with 7500 miles on it. It now has 33k on it. I have installed a K&N filter on the MAFS and is the only thing for performance that I have done. I know that you may say that the filter in the engine compartment has slowed me down, but this car has always been slower. I mean even the gearing seems different.
My question is this: the slower car may have originally came from California does it have California emissions that make it slower. I live in Texas and bought the faster one here brand-new.
Any Ideas, thoughts, questions?
Thanks,
Jon
Old 06-13-2001, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The Cali one should have 2 cat converters. That's the only difference.

If the motor has been beat on...that would explain why it has less power. Or it could just be a bad motor.

The 2.0L beta (stock) has dyno's as high as 142 HP at the wheels and as low as 110 HP at the wheels for manual Transmission. That's a 30 HP for spread for what is basically the same engine. You could be experienceing the same thing.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:47 AM

Random,
They are both auto's. I will check about a second cat. If there is one could I have the second one taken off? What other things could I check to see what is affecting my power?
thanks
Old 06-13-2001, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

It is illegal to remove a functionioning cat. The Cat is NOT causing your HP loss.

Your best bet is to have them both Dyno'ed. You can then see where one is doing well, were the other is doing poorly...and then we can try to figure out what is wrong.

To try to "diagnose" an engine problem like this from 3000 miles away is damn tough on the given information.

The "ususal" suspects on the beta motors are.
Coil Packs
Spark Plugs
Wires.

Swap these between the two cars and see if the performance problem moves with the coil pack, wires or plugs....

Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter/clogged fuel pickup in the fuel tank....
Old 06-13-2001, 06:01 AM

Dynoing the car is out but I'll look into the ignition issues. I know it's tough Random and I do thank you for all your help.
Is it hard to remove the coil-pack?
Old 06-13-2001, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by DESIGN:
Is it hard to remove the coil-pack?

The bolts are torqued down to about 10,000,000 ft. lbs. Other than that...they are a piece o cake.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:26 PM

All I need is a 20' "cheater" pipe. Thanks again Random.