Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Wont Come Off! Help

Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah, i got all the bolts out, axles out and everything, i think i am gonna go at it with a chisel today, lol.. theres already an opening to work with.

the flywheel it still attached, i can see that for sure. you can see the flywheel from the bottom, and from the top where the flywheel sensor goes in.

yah, i shoulda probably pulled them both, but this shoulda been a pretty straight forward, drop the trans type of job. i could just rent a hoist for free, cuz i couldnt buy one, no where to put it at my apt.; but i am going to try everything i can first, so i dont have to unhook every sensor, and stuff.

i was thinking of removing the bell housing from the rest of the trans where the gears are and such, if i dont have any more luck with prying at it today.

m_j, the only pics that really show anything is the piece of pressure plate thru the bell housings.. cuz its not apart enough to see inside very good, and wouldnt be represented in pics.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 PM

Taking the lever OFF is the WRONG thing to do. drillsergeant.gif
Put the clutch lever back on, but raised up .5" Then rotate it. one way will clamp the transmission to the engine, the other will force it away. Rotate it so that it forces the transmisison away from the engine. It WILL fall off. You may have to apply some force (but not that much) via a long screw driver/short pry bar to the lever, but it shouldn't take THAT much force.

The Clutch fork is still attached to the throwout bearing. The throwout bearing is still clipped into the clutch. the clutch is bolted to the flywheel.

Until you free the throwout bearing from the clutch fork...you'll never get it off.

You need that lever on there, and you need to rotate the lever (and the shift fork) so that it will slide off the throwout bearing, and allow the transmisison to fall off leaving the throwout bearing/clutch/flywheel/engine behind. You can't do that if you took the lever OFF! 02.gif
Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

random, we put the lever, back on and the damn thing WILL NOT slip off.. we pried it with a TON of force away from the engine, ive done it before and it wasnt anywhere CLOSE to this hard..

heres some fuxored pics from today, i tried taking the differential side off, and the thing aint budging.. and then we jsut started to take EVERY thing out..

Old 10-31-2006, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

In the first couple of pics there appears to be a metal part projecting out of the transmission case which has cut a slice into it. I realize that is why the transmission is being removed but are you sure that part isn't why you are having a hard time removing the trans.?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Heh, so socks, what exactly are you planning on driving when you come up to GV? laugh.gif
Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650

I agree with rallyman. If that's part of the clutch thats still attached to the flywheel then you'll need to remove it 1st.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Well just cut the the damn thing off. It's already fuxored.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

/\ Thats what i was thinking /\

Smash the bellhousing up, chisel it, whatever. youll be able to see whats holding it on and proceed to take a jigsaw to it.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah... tear it up. Not like there would be anything salvageable in that thing. Just don't cause damage to anything else.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

That's what I already suggested. Crack the bellhousing and get another later.