Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Swap Question

Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ill grab it tonight when I go home.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

clears throat

shuffles feet
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

He's one of the few people who actually take the time to understand the car.
now i do! lmao.gif more than a few years ago.

i went to the dealer today to ask this very question. they told me there is no MT TCM, all you would have to do is unplug the AT TCM or cut off and cap off the wires from it.

next, there is no AT, MT ECU, it's all the same computer. Only difference is the TCM plugs into the ECU.

stocker, your pictures show that box with MT. what is that? where is the TCM actually located, inside of the din or behind the passenger crash pad?

here's what they gave me. we were laughing that the picture is just a simple lame interpretation of a tiburon and an arrow, it doesn't show much!
Old 10-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks a ton HKC. I appreciate you taking the time to lay it straight.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

D*mnit I knew I was right!

That's an elantra BTW. Same thing.

The TCM is right next to (within inches of, to the right) the ECM, on a bracket that puts it SMACK in the way of the clutch pedal being in there. You know where the clutch mounts? That's where the TCM is. Big gold box that makes the ECM hard to get out. You literally can't miss it.

here's the image I put in the 1.8L ECU knowledge thread

Dang it's crowded under my dash. The RCAs are for my garage door opener, the rest is for the alarm. That gold thing is the TCM, and if you know what the ECM connector looks like, you can tell where the ECM is relative to the TCM
Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM

stocker, you are beast!

i didn't do my own swap like Majik did. i looked under mine. TCM has been removed. it appears there were no problems with my swap, hell my code might not even have anything do do with this. the plug for the TCM is zip tied and disconnected. to get reverse lights the plug on top of the transmission has to be swapped. mine do not work yet. and i have to ask about the brake lights.

the problem with my dumb code is i had P1613 since before my auto-manual swap when i was having gear slippage with my automatic! i do not know where to begin now... if the TCM has been removed, why on earth would I get a TCM code?

that being said, i have somewhat of a seperate problem. but once i get it fixed i will give you an update. i'm getting closer and closer to fixing it.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

my brake lights didn't work after my swap. The problem was that the brake light switch ON the brake pedal broke in the accident from the loaner vehicle. I swapped out the switch with the one that was on my auto pedal.

yes, the plug on top of the tranny needs to be swapped so it plugs into the tranny. It's on top, real easy to do after-the-fact.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:41 AM

Hmm. So my question is what the hell is that box then. I need to look around and see. I just assumed at a quick glance MT = Manual Transmission.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM
DTN

QUOTE (HyundaiKitCoupe @ Oct 10 2008, 05:46 PM)
the problem with my dumb code is i had P1613 since before my auto-manual swap when i was having gear slippage with my automatic! i do not know where to begin now... if the TCM has been removed, why on earth would I get a TCM code?

that being said, i have somewhat of a seperate problem. but once i get it fixed i will give you an update. i'm getting closer and closer to fixing it.

Did you ground ECM terminal 61?

The fix is to cut that wire. It removes the ability of the TCM to call faults out to the ECM.

I rock.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 PM

I rock.

i have a more basic diagram of this and i don't know where you got it from but it shrinks mine. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif indeed!

yeah i don't know why the dealership diagram shows the TCM is located somewhere in the middle of the car. I did however also find a similar looking gold box with "AT" stamped on it behind the stereo din. Unplugged it and nothing happened while driving.