Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Rebuild(1.6)

Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005/hyundai/accent gt

i have an accent trans from a 05 accent. its the same one as anything after 2000. i know its not an rd, but its the same trans suprisingly. i can bolt up my 1.6 trans to a 1.8, or even a 2.0 and only have to switch the mounts. so maybe you guys can help me out here. i love mechanical work. and would love to try and do this on my own. i could care less if i mess it up, as i have 2 extras.

heres the issue: when in the car, i could not go into second gear. it would just grind extremely bad. almost like i didnt put the clutch in. im guessing its a second gear syncro.

so my question is, how hard is it to fix this?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i cant give u any firsst hand experience but from wat i heard from other members it isnt too hard. but i give u props for trying to do it urself
Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

first time i probably an 8/10. After than it drops down to a 5 or 6 and its just annoying and time consuming.

this scale is with checking your tire pressure being 1 and full motor swap being 10.

edit: I'm pretty sure there is a diy or two involving this now and you can ask about anything you get stuck one.
btw, take the throw out bearing pull arm off before trying to remove the transmission. wink1.gif
Old 08-29-2008, 06:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

This should help you out alot!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...08004811197423

and this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...88145&hl=en
Old 08-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2005/hyundai/accent gt

very soon i will be making a diy when i do this. as well as a full motor swap out. im sure some of you would love this. like i said, its an accent, but its the same.

thanks again for the responses. im hoping to order parts from a trans shop, or some one i know in the parts department
Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

It isn't that hard to do if you are mechanically inclined and can remember what goes where. The vids are VERY helpful and do come in handy.

But you WILL need a shop press and a bearing press attachment to press the gearsets off the two mainshafts and swap out synchros.

If you don't have that stuff just go to a reliable machine shop or trans shop and have them do it. Remember though you can pick up a press and that bearing accessory for less than $300 so if they are going to rape you to press some gears off and on the shafts, then just buy the stuff and do it yourself!

Or if you like you can ship the shaft with 1st and 2nd gear on it to me and I can press them apart, swap the synchros, and press it all back together for a small fee.

Let me know via PM if that intrests you.

BTW: Your local hyundai dealer should be able to get you any parts you may need in a couple of days, synchros are only about $25 each.