Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Transmission Problem?

Old 12-15-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1998 Tiburon FX. My CEL light came on one day while driving, so I had autozone check my codes, and thought it was something purely electrical at the time, so I got home, reset my ECM or whatever, and the light was off. I'd driven to college, 150 miles, plus over 100 more miscellaneous since I've been here without a problem, and today, the light kicked back on, so I went to Autozone again and wrote down the codes this time. Here's what I got, and what I believe they are (correct me if I'm wrong):

P1624: MIL On- request from TCM
P0747: Pressure Control Solenoid Stuck On
P0743: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical

I don't know much about the mechanics of cars, but I do know that sometimes my transmission seems like it doesn't shift properly, like it doesn't go into either 2nd or 3rd gear or something. I have an automatic, and I've tried starting it out in L, then switching to 2 around 3500~4000 while this is going on, and it doesn't do anything at all until I put it in D. Even then I'm going 40mph at about 3000 which isn't normal. Switching O/D doesn't do anything either. The weird thing is this only happens sometimes, alot of the time (like those 250 miles since I reset the computer) everything is fine. I'm wondering if this is something I can fix myself fairly easily, is the pressure control solenoid easy to get to/cheap? Any help is appreciated- I know plenty of people here know much more than I ever will about this stuff.

Thanks,

~Chainu
Old 12-15-2005, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

This definently needs to be moved.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:10 PM

I just realized what forum I posted this in, sorry... For Sale is the one that is in my favorites because I always look at it first, can someone please move this for me? Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Moved...and im working on getting the code TS for you. webtech is being finicky.

since webtech is dumb now and wont let us post links to the page, whats your email addy? i can send them to you.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 PM

Chainu127@juno.com

Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 PM

just sent the pages over, tell me how it works out. ive never used their email thing before.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:17 PM

Alright, I received those pages from webtech- and of course they all look greek to me. I might just end up taking it to a transmission shop, although I really don't have the money or want to. I noticed it happens when I'm goin between 40 - 60 mph usually, it really sucks when it happens up towards 60, because then I'm running at 4k. Sometimes it will fix itself and shift back up, but if this happens it inevitably will screw up again, sometimes this cycle happens 3 or 4 times until it just stays messed up at the high revs. I've even had it try to downshift 2 gears and run at 5500+ rpm, but I hit the brakes then and it instantly fixes itself. It's like the computer is getting confused and not knowing when to shift, and telling the tranny to at spontaneous times. Any other ideas before I am forced to take it in? Thanks,

~Chainu
Old 01-01-2006, 12:57 PM

are you the original owner? if so, go to the dealer, but im guessing you are not.

the 0747 code says replace the solenoid valve, or check the wiring. the 0743 one says check the connector for the valve. 1624 is just saying to check the tcm, so its unimportant as you have two more specific codes.

i tried finding the location of the valve, but i couldnt. i think its somewhere on the tranny. also, im sending another page to you to see if you can narrow it down based on the symptoms.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:01 PM

Another update.. While driving around like this for a month now, I have realized that when things are "not the way they should be," it acts exactly as if overdrive was switched off. I confirmed this by turning overdrive off myself, when everything was working normally, and the tach matched up exactly! So at least I know I'm not ruining my transmission, since I would imagine Hyundai would manufacture their transmission to be able to withstand driving with overdrive off for towing purposes, or of the like. I guess I'm just missing out on the good gas milage. By the way, when it is messed up, the O/D Off light obviously does not come on (unless I hit the switch which in turn does nothing) or else I'd have known this a long time ago.

So I guess the big question is, does anyone know where this solenoid valve/torque converter clutch switch is?