Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

tranny swap, What do you recommend?

Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny swap, What do you recommend?

Hi there, i´v been searching about the tranny swap to my tiburon, I´m not sure if is worth it or not ( i mean for me ).... Like you all people know I live outside o f USA, so find the parts for everything is more dificult for me, the only way that I ask too much is ´cause here where I live I dont have so much information about what I want to do it.................. I only find the answers here, if you have the pacience to answer me. thanks

Well, for this swap I know that I will need these:

clutch/pressure ( i dont know what is this. Flyweel?? )
plate assembly. ( I dont know )
Shift cables,
shifter base,
shifter lever, ( Dont know )
clutch pedal assembly,
clutch master cylinder

What else do I will need?. I know that i will also need a bolts for the flywheel, but how can I know the exact bolt that i will need without have the example?

I also want to know, if anyone that made this swap, had a trouble with the change or with the tranny? It this woth it??, how much time you reduced on track with this swap?, I´m doing a hard thinking about this.. I want to know also if the tranny ( manual ) from elantra or tiburon are of 1 or 3 chargers? I can get a tranny here in 450$ plus everything i could need, ( i dont know if the tranny has everything like the flywheel, clutch )

What would you think is the hardest thing in this swap?..

thanks and if you think I would need something to know now, please let me know.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The swap itself is supposed to be time-consuming, but easy. Personally I've never done one, although I can see where things might get difficult.

You have listed basically everything you need. If you buy a transmission, it should have all the internals (clutch, flywheel). If you got one of those Pull-It places, some of the internal pieces may have been taken (Even though if I did it I would just take the entire thing LOL). Also, the condition of the parts may not be so good. Where do you intend to buy it from?

It would probably be an involved swap... probbably almost near ten hours. There is nothing like driving a manual car though. You might shave 0.2-0.3 off the quarter... maybe a tad more once you really learn how to shift.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:06 PM

ohhh ok.......

I havent seen the tranny, but i will have to check out before buy it, but the tranny has 1 or 3 chagers ( i dont know if is the right word for that, but i mean the support of the tranny)

That just little of time? Could I use the automatic axels? of are differents?

I dont know so much of this, and I trying to do a research, but it seems that everybody dont say too much of this, its like eveybody knows everything and dont need to say it...lol

well thanks!
Old 02-27-2005, 02:50 PM

I have an auto to and have been wanting to get a tranny swap, but I can't do it myself so my only option right now is to probably get a different tiburon since it would be 5k-7k to do the swap. How much time does it shave off from the 0-60mph?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:02 PM

Even if you payed someone to do it for you and bought everything new it still wouldn't be 5-7k... There should only be $500-700 in labor charges involved @ 50 an hour (general price around here).
Old 02-27-2005, 03:18 PM

hamhead said it would drop between .2 and .4 on the 1/4. and it takes the car (stoke) half the time of the 1/4 to get to 60, i guessing about half. so about a .1 or .2 drop on 0-60 time, .3 if your luck. but if you have more mods im sure you would get a little more.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:48 PM

.1-.3 huh? What's a 0-60 on a a m/t tib? Because mine is somewhere in the tens and I'm thinking something is wrong with my engine for it to be that slow.

If I want a tranny swap where should I go then? My area wants $4500 for labor alone. I'll drive somewhere far to save $3800.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 PM

LOL. It all depends on where you live. I'm right around 200 above sea level, inland, so my times are going to be better than someone in the mountains of Utah or someplace like that. My 0-60 is sitting around 7.5 secs I think. I know its not in the 10s. tongue.gif

$3800? LOL... I bet even a Hyundai dealership would be less than that for labor. Thats around $200 an hour... I'm sure you can find some place cheaper than that....
Old 02-27-2005, 06:20 PM

.1 or .2 untill .5 with the swap?!. I think is so much faster than the automatic, right?, I guess that I could shave like a second at least.

our cars are that slow? what is the reason? i make 13´ in the 1/8 on the track 6500 feet above sea level, i thought that was the time for a automatic tiburon on that kind of sea level, but i thinkg now that is the time for our tibs, right?

what could run on a 200 feet sea level? i think a little less, right?
Old 02-27-2005, 06:40 PM

I run about 10.5 seconds in the 1/8 when I was stock... times can differ +/- 1.5 seconds depending on altitude/air density/track conditions. I doubt you'd shave a second off of just an auto-manual swap.