Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Going Bad?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i'm haveing some problems with my tranny now. I really dont know if its the synchros or what but the symptoms, for you doctors, are these:

Every time i shift to second gear at 2000 RPMs it makes a grinding noise, in 3000 - 4000 RPMs it goes in normally and in the high RPM range (5000 - 6000) it feels like it goes in forsably, like it wouldnt want to go it.

When i shift to third it goes in normally in the low, mid range RPMs but in the high RPMs it grinds a little.

Fourth and Fifth gear go in normally, there is no probleme with these.

I have about 82300 Miles on my car.

Will this get fixed by only adjusting the clutch, or new cluch?

I'm planning on getting a beta 2 tranny if its the synchors, i already have a ACT six puck clutch and Chrome - Moly flywheel ready to be installed, i'm just waiting to see if i really need a new tranny so i wont be doing this twise. I'm guessing these two will fit a beta 2 tranny if i get one...

Thanks for the help in advance.

so nobody knows the answers to my questions?? sigh.gif
Old 04-23-2007, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Sorry man, I'm not a tranny expert.

....That didn't sound right..

Anyhow, pm me where you got your flywheel from if you can.

Goodluck with the problem...
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM

hhhmmm, i guess i'll just have to buy the beta 2 tranny then to take that away. I definatly dont like that grinding noise.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

That is definately a synchro issuse, I have had 1st and 2nd cone and 3rd and 4th cone replaced under warranty on my transmission recently. You should just be able to swap out the tranny and put on your new clutch and flywheel combo and be ok.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

since where on a tranny topic, are there any good alternative trannys that we can use? and do they have any benefits over our oem one
Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Ok, thanks for the info. Alton87. I will be getting the beta 2 tranny then.

From what i know Vladimer, the beta 2 tranny is the only one, and well the first benefit i know of is that the synchros dont go bad as easy as on our beta 1 tranny. I think you only have to grind a little of it to get it to fit, from what i remeber that SOCKS told me. Although i dont know how much it has to be grinded and with what...