Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Going Bad?..

Old 07-30-2005, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

here's the plan my man:

go to dealership. Kiss there arses and get yourself a brand spankin new auto-tragic-to-be tranny swapped in. THEN, take the auto right back out of the car and sell that shit on eBay. Use the money you made to buy yourself a used 5spd tranny and a new clutch kit. HAHA, good luck finding a buyer tho...damn. Just get someone like you, with auto tranny problems.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Well, if you are given a brand spakin new tranny, and can't do the swap, I wouldn't drive that thing 1 mile without getting a transmission cooler, that will extend the life a lot, then you won't have to worry so much maybe..
And make sure to blow your tranny up when you hit 99k miles also lmao.gif
Old 07-30-2005, 12:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Before anything let me correct you pat.."heres the plan my woman**" (Just letting you know Im a chick wink1.gif

lol I'll see what I can do with the tranny and the dealers. I might just try and pay the Tib off and get another one with a 5 speed to save myself work. If money comes along from me selling other things then I will consider the swap..it has been on my mind anyway.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

my apologies...

guys dig chicks with 5spd's wink1.gif LOL, either way you go...get your crappy auto tranny dealed with ASAP before you break down. I mean it's FREE right?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:57 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Return your tib to stock and buy another 5spd. You probably could break even if you play your cards right.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Find out what tranny fluid your dad used. Hyundai's are REAL specific about their ATF. They use SPIII which you can only get from a Hyundai dealership (that I know of). Your dad may have unknowingly sabotaged your tranny. I suggest flushing the tranny, put SPIII in it (buy it from dealership, costs about $25 for 4 quarts, you'll need 8 I think if you FLUSH and don't just drain and fill).

If he did use SPIII, take your tranny to the dealership. Check on NewTiburon.com's website, they have a thread for people to post info on their dealership. Maybe you can find a good one near you that will work with the customer. If you are the original owner of the car, you SHOULD have Hyundai's Roadside Assistance. The phone # is in your car manuals somewhere. They will tow you for free. I had my Automatic Tranny replaced under warranty @ 62k miles. Auto Trannies are KNOWN to go bad in the tibbies.

Again, CHECK WITH YOUR DAD ABOUT WHAT ATF HE USED! Tibby trannies need SP-III. The only place I've been able to find it is a dealership. JiffyLube or any place like that doesn't carry anything to use in our cars.

I've used Hyundai Roadside Assistance 3 times I think... each time I towed my car 40 miles away to a dealership I knew and trusted, and that would work with my car (some won't mess with it because of the body kit). I had it towed to a dealership 40 miles away and bypassed 2 that were within 15 miles. Roadside Assistance is included in the 10-year 100,000 mile warranty
Old 07-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Good advice, Majik. and yes, Hyundai trannies are weak.. that is one of the reasons I think they specify the fluid they do.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I drove to the tranny place today but they were closed mad.gif so I drove for nothing. I realized that its switching pretty late 3-4..it switches at 3k or 3300 rpm. i know it never did that before and when I pulled out of my house and started driving it hesitated for a minute again. The performance is pretty shotty up to 5th gear too. If it turns out I need a new tranny, we have a Nissan sentra here we use as a spare car so Ill drive that around. If my dad left the keys for it I wouldnt drive my tib anywhere this weekend. All will be revealed on Monday, Ill let you all know. Thanks again guys.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Sorry for double posting but I just wanted to tell you guys whats up.

I went to the tranny place today, told the guy what was up and he hooked up the diagnostic machine to the car and took it for a spin to check everything out. He came back and told me for him the car ran fine but after he drove and hooked up the comp to the car it gave him two codes. Both them together are "2nd and 4th gear ratio error". The guy told me this could be a bad solenoid, or electrical, wiring problems. Which in this case are all a b**** to have. If it is a wiring problem, meaning that the computer isnt getting the right readings or somethings messed up, I can get it fixed of course, but as with any electrical problem I think it will happen again and again with other things. I have a feeling it might be a wiring thing because last year the tib had a small ecu problem but who knows. now its up to Hyundai to fix it. Ill be going there on Wednesday to get everything fixed. Whatever the case ill prolly be bolting from this tibby and save up some money to get another one..except 5 speed.

Thanks again guys.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:19 PM

I got my tranny scanned because I was having the same problem from 2-3 shift.

After the scan, it turns out it was the kick down switch that was open. Hopefully I won't be having the same problems after this.