Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Flush? Easy to do, or should I pay too much?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Flush? Easy to do, or should I pay too much?

I've never done a tranny flush... but I NEED it bad.

I'm not willing to pay $200+, and I've been working on cars my whole life. I'm thinking I can handle this, but I wanna' see if you guys have had any problems here.

Thanks fellas. laugh.gif
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Tranny flush shouldn't be any problem for ya. I would rate a flush at like middling car experience. The weekend mechanic should be able to handle it. smile.gif
Old 01-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Yeah, you should be able to do it. From what I have always done for a flush anyway has been getting an extra 4 qts (I think 4) of the tranny fluid. Drain the old, put in the new. Then drive around for about 3k miles and then change it again. This will make sure that the fluid gets to everything and then gets pumped back out. I know that some places that charge to do it will use a high pressure setup plugged into your tranny. Not sure how that works tho.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:44 PM

cool. thanks kids, i'll look into it. 8^)
Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 AM

its no harder to do then changing your oil!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:41 AM

i didn't think so!

i just thought there might be something special or what have you.... considering the dealership charges over $200 bucks.

figured i'd make sure. 8^)
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM

Well a tranny flush and just changing the tranny oil are two completly different things. The flush is what I was talking about with the high pressure setup. That is not something you can really do your self. The way I explained above is the cheap way to do a flush but the $200 option is really only better if you KNOW that your tanny has been badly abused and such.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:12 PM

QUOTE (UltraTibby)
Well a tranny flush and just changing the tranny oil are two completly different things. The flush is what I was talking about with the high pressure setup. That is not something you can really do your self. The way I explained above is the cheap way to do a flush but the $200 option is really only better if you KNOW that your tanny has been badly abused and such.

okay, now it makes sense. and yeah, my ****'s pretty badly abused for an automatic.

any idea if the Lucas Stop-Leak/Sealer and a nice flush would suffice? Or should i have it pressure flushed.....

the problem here is that i'm completely broke, and this thing needs attention right away.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:17 PM

I recently was having issues with my tranny. I did the flush myself (how I explained above with the 3k miles) and it everything is 1000 times better. I know going to get the flush done with the high pressure would have porbably been the best choice but I just couldnt justify the expense.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:08 PM

If your tranny is abused and it needs attention pretty bad, don't spend $200+ on it! It doesn't make any sense!
If it's already bad, you're not going to correct the problems with a flush and fresh oil, so why spend so much? If it's really bad, then maybe you could find a newone on a junkyard for that much money.
If fresh oil is all it needs, then just spend on that (Ultra's method sounds the best way to go if this is the case).