Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Took In Water

Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was driving in some pretty heavy rain... started to get minor flash flood so i was going home.. just a few blocks

Going down a hill i splashed a ton of water... got to bottom and turned...

once i got to bottom.. i felt car get all boggy and had trouble fighting water... finally i stalled.

after a min or so of being stalled... my battery died and I lost all power.. car wont turn over at all.

I have a aem cai low to ground.....

thoughts opinions?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If the starter's not even trying that's probably electrical, or you fried your starter.

First thing to do though is get it dried out, pull the plugs and let it air out. Then try again and see where you're at.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Jun 10 2010, 01:53 PM)
If the starter's not even trying that's probably electrical, or you fried your starter.

First thing to do though is get it dried out, pull the plugs and let it air out. Then try again and see where you're at.

idk even know how to pull plugs... how serious is this problem? shops on phone are thinking either electrical or hydrolock
Old 06-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you don't know how to pull spark plugs then just take it to a shop, you're better off that way.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

^^ agreed Caj but if he wants to learn it is not that hard.

first off, take out the CAI, MAF and check for condensation. if you see alot of drops, go to next part in this post.

how to pull plugs:

3/8" drive with a 8" extension. and a 5/8" spark plug socket.

mark your plug wires 1,2,3,4 from left to right before pulling.

take plugs out and use a pen light to look down the spark plug hole to see if you can see water . water and gas will give off different "shines". gas is a little more shinier than water if you get my drift.

take a air gun and blow each cylinder out (use eye protection)

replace plugs if they show no condensation on them using the ext. and spark plug socket, HAND START THEM AND RUN A FEW THREADS BEFORE TIGHTENING!!!

replace wires in correct order and give her a turn. if nothing then, it would be electrical then.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Just to give some perspective on this from somebody who's been there and done that...

Last heavy rain season here I would sucking in tons of water, without even my splash guards under the engine, super low slammed coilovers and AEM filter a few inches off the ground getting all the water from the tries flung up into it. One day I stalled a total of 6 times in what is normally a 20 minute drive home. Your CAI sucks in a bunch of water, and you'll want to keep your revs up as much as possible, figure 4K is about where I keep it when I'm worried about stalling when I'm sucking in water. It'll fight you, but by keeping the revs up, you'll be slowly pushing out white steam out the back of the car. Its when you rev lower, that the system seems to get constipated and ends up farting out a massive white cloud behind you then putts and dies or barely hangs on until all the water has been farted out.

I've had this happen on this motor a total of about 20 times. Hydrolock? Nope, but never once did I let it just sit there after I sucked in water, I didn't care if I had 40 cars lined up behind me while I tried to get it started again, I just kept cranking until she fired, then farted and died, then started again, lol. Its amazing that I never lost the motor, but my dumb ass was testing the limits last time around.

Figure out what fuse blew, or just pull the connectors off the battery and make sure there's no connection probs. Try a jump start. Sounds to me like you blew a fuse or something, but unless your car was seriously sitting still with the filter underwater just sucking water into the motor, you probably didn't lock it. Good luck.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

How deep was the water? I recently just replaced my engine because I hydrolocked it. Worst case scenario, you bent a rod (this was what happened to me) but I've also heard of many people just having to "dry it out". I would take it to a shop if possible. We had to take my bumper off and put it on a trailor (was such a PITA).

It also could just be a fuse or something, best of luck to you and hope you get it fixed.