Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Adjusting Injector Pulse Width

Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

Hey guys,

I've been talking to my father (awesome mechanic) about doing some minor tuning to my car to make it crank out some more horsepower. We just rebuilt the engine over the winter, shaved the head down 40/1000th of an inch, removed the AC compressor and cleaned everything out. The difference was practically day-and-night in terms of power and throttle response. I've also got an AEM CAI going as well. As for tuning, my father remembered back in the day he could use a computer to play with the pulse width of the injectors, basically allowing them to stay opened longer, so they dump more fuel and the trottle position sensor picks this up and dumps more air into the cylinders.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have tried something like this before and have some results/tips to making it work well? My father can't remember if when he uses a computer to adjust the pulse width, if the settings will actually save and remain that way once he unplugs it (seems to recall that happening with Hyundais). He suggested maybe installing a switch with a memory chip that would keep that information stored and can be de-activated when I need the better gas mileage. Any ideas on how effective this might work?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Um..it's pretty pointless.

You don't even come close to the amount of mods you would require to justify bigger injectors or "playing with the pulse width". Hyundais run rich to begin with. Your fueling is fine, don't complicate yourself.

Save up for a turbo kit and real tunner, then you'll have your time and money invested well.

BTW...tps sensors don't read afr's or pulse widths just throttle position in .5 - 4.5 voltage.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Simply adjusting pulse width will not net you more power. That is also not the proper way to add fuel. To do this effectively and not hurt your mileage you would only adjust your open loop map, but to do this safely and effectively you would need a wide band to monitor your a/f ratios. On these cars to make more power in n/a form you would most likely wind up leaning out your a/f ratio, especially if you are still on stock compression pistons. I could banter on for pages about how to accomplish this, but Tanc hit the nail on the head, you do not have enough mods to warrant fuel tuning.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

Thanks for the replies guys! I don't know anything about tuning and my father's knowledge only goes as far as his typical mechanics work takes him. He doesn't do any tuning on cars, but figured this might have been a logical way to improve performance. I'll take your personal knowledge into account and forget about the whole idea. I'm forgetting about investing in a turbo for this car. In my opinion, I don't think investing thousands of dollars into a turbo setup on a Tiburon is worth it; if I want to spend that kind of coin into getting a performance car, I might as well just get an STi. The few small mods and maintenance I've done on the car are simply to keep it running for a few more years and enjoy it while I'm at it. I figured playing around with the tuning would teach me a few new things and help me get the most of my engine rebuild.

Thanks!