Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Timing Belt Related Parts?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just wondering what the level of importance of changing the Tension Assembly and Idle Pulley along with the Timing Belt. I have very high mileage on my Tiburon and I change my Timing belt every 60,000 miles. How likely will the idle pulley and tension fail? I already changed my belts and water pump.

P.S. Anyone recommend an aftermarket timing belt brand?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'd go oem and replace both pulley's your going to have them off anyways.

While you at it replace the ps, ac, and alt belts and your water pump.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

There are many posts regarding timing belts, changing them and parts needed. Why would you change everything except the pulleys that keep the belt at tension and on track? They come in belt kits for a reason. I would feel like a dumbass if my belt broke because i didn't change the idle pulley and it seized up and wore out the belt.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

At 120k miles, my idler bearing's seals had failed. The lubricant had sprayed out of the bearing and onto the side of the roller. The bearing still rolled easily enough, but you could feel it starting to 'grumble' when it was turned by hand. Consider the cost of replacing the cylinder head is at least double the cost of a timing belt kit with bearings in it IF you DIY the head replacement. New valves will cost as much as a used replacement head, or more. If you hole a piston, the cost doubles again, if you are still DIY'ing it.

If you have someone else do it for you, add a zero to the end of the price and your car is now a total loss. Because of a $10 bearing.

Replace the water pump while you're in there, if you haven't replaced the pump in the last 2 timing belt changes.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (Supercow @ Sep 18 2009, 06:48 AM)
I'd go oem and replace both pulley's your going to have them off anyways.

While you at it replace the ps, ac, and alt belts and your water pump.

QUOTE (Stocker @ Sep 18 2009, 03:42 PM)
At 120k miles, my idler bearing's seals had failed. The lubricant had sprayed out of the bearing and onto the side of the roller. The bearing still rolled easily enough, but you could feel it starting to 'grumble' when it was turned by hand. Consider the cost of replacing the cylinder head is at least double the cost of a timing belt kit with bearings in it IF you DIY the head replacement. New valves will cost as much as a used replacement head, or more. If you hole a piston, the cost doubles again, if you are still DIY'ing it.

If you have someone else do it for you, add a zero to the end of the price and your car is now a total loss. Because of a $10 bearing.

Replace the water pump while you're in there, if you haven't replaced the pump in the last 2 timing belt changes.

Thanks for your answers. And yes I already searched before posting.