Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Removing The Clutch Fluid Restrictor

Old 08-14-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

Okay, I know there's a long thread / DIY on this with MANY mixed opinions (if you've never read it go here: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=246), but instead of bringing that back from the dead I thought we could just start a fresh one.

Anyway, lots of people say that it has to be there for a reason, don't take it out, one guy even blamed this mod on what caused his clutch to blow apart. Since I discovered this I've been doing lots of research on other forums and have seen that everyone on HP and elantraxd love this mod and nobody has anything bad to say about it. I also came across a BMW site where this was a DIY, and read about lots of people who do it to their 2g eclipses. I have also talked to MANY people who have done this to their tib for the last 15,000+ miles and have had zero problems, in fact said they really like it. On HP one guy said he talked to his dealer about it and they said there are no negative effects (but then again, a lot of those mechanics are morons..lol)

So I just thought we should have a thread to set the record straight, let's hear more than just opinions, lets see some facts. Maybe this will turn out to be like the resonator removal mod, or the coolant bypass mod, everyone reccommends and eventually does it because its free and improves your car.

On another note, I think I plan on doing it soon.

exd - http://www.elantraxd.com/DIY/slave.php
hp - http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/fo...ic.php?t=42405
2g eclipse diy - http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_faster/Faq...removal_faq.htm
bmw 325i diy - http://www.bmw325i.net/rev_cdv_removal.shtml
Old 08-14-2006, 11:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Go for it.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'll probably be doing this mod soon as well. let us know how it goes.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

nobody knows anything about this? i was hoping we would get some useful info about this mod in this thread..

i think i'm meeting up with a guy from rdt who lives in minneapolis next weekend, he did this to his car, maybe we'll do it to mine. i'll post up the details, there's already a diy, so that's unnecessary.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM

i did it to mine awhile back, and also did it to pile_of_rd1's car, makes it easier to bark 2nd and 3rd, which is kinda fun. i did have my clutch slip for the 1st time about 2 weeks after i did it. kinda scared me, but i babied it for awhile, and i havent had an issues again. dunno if it was related or not.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Be intrested to see how it turns out.

Moving to engine and transmission btw.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 PM

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Aug 14 2006, 10:15 PM)
everyone on HP and elantraxd love this mod and nobody has anything bad to say about it.

Actually, there have been some negative reviews on both of those sites. Several at elantraxd.

I seriously considered this as well, and decided not to do it. The minimal improvement isn't worth the potential risk IMO. But lots of people are running with the restrictor removed, so you'll probably be fine.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add my 0.02

I removed this restrictor a long time ago and the stock clutch felt a lot better. I had no problems because of the mod.

But now I have upgraded to an ACT 6-puck clutch, and since the engagement is stronger, I decided to put the restrictor back in, and it is a LOT smoother and nicer with the restrictor. Without the restrictor any small mistake (letting go a bit too fast) would be punished haha but the restrictor helps with that.

So bottom line, this mod is ok on stock clutch, but leave the restrictor in if you are running a better clutch..
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Radu, you got your morals mixed up! You were supposed to say that you practiced a ton with your new clutch and you can drive it no sweat now!

"Better" is subjective. Your clutch CAN grip HARDRIGHTNOW when you don't have a restricted fluid path. If you are racing or don't mind barking your tires at every light or don't have the time/inclination to practice eeeeeeeasing out the clutch pedal, putting the restrictor in again will make it more like a stock clutch (slips for you, even when you let off the pedal all at once). Is that better? On the street yes, maybe not so hot all the time on the track. Just calling it "better" is like saying a grip safety or decocker is "better" on a pistol.

If you like your car more with the restrictor IN, put it back IN and your car IS better.

Put it BACK in, because everyone should at least TRY it without the restrictor. You know you need to change your clutch fluid anyway, go ahead and try the modification. If you don't like it, don't worry your new fluid has washed the old gunk out of the lines and needs to be changed again already so put the restrictor back in. (If you do like it, don't worry the new fluid is good enough)

Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Yeah, true, I just meant it's better for daily street driving. Without the restrictor there's definitely more control, allowing you really harsh engagement when you want it.

If you are really good with the clutch and never make a mistake or let go too fast it's probably better without the restrictor. But I still mess up sometimes haha especially when im in a hurry to start moving

But my new clutch is so strong that even with the restrictor it won't noticeably slip when you don't want it to.

Only problem with trying this is getting fluid all over the transmission, where it will stay for the remaining life of the car lol (probably better if all fluid is drained first through the bleeder)