Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Time for an A/C recharge

Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib I4
Default Time for an A/C recharge

Turned on my a/c for the first time yesterday for the year. Started to blow out warm air. I know its not the thermostat since I just changed that last year. Thinking about buying an a/c recharge kit myself and giving it a whirl. Then again, if I screw it up...I'll have to spend the extra money to take it to a shop and have them do it. So instead of taking the chance in having to pay twice, I'll probably just go spend the $100 to have a shop do it the right way the first time.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by NJ_DRIVER
Turned on my a/c for the first time yesterday for the year. Started to blow out warm air. I know its not the thermostat since I just changed that last year. Thinking about buying an a/c recharge kit myself and giving it a whirl. Then again, if I screw it up...I'll have to spend the extra money to take it to a shop and have them do it. So instead of taking the chance in having to pay twice, I'll probably just go spend the $100 to have a shop do it the right way the first time.

if your out of freon, you have a leak somewhere and it should be fixed BEFORE adding more. Otherwise you'll just have the same problem a year from now.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

What he said^
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it's a slow leak you might be good for a long time. If it's the compressor it will do nothing to charge the refrigerant. There's no shame having a shop look at a system you don't know how to fix properly. If you can find a place to do a free a/c check up all the better.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stocker
If it's a slow leak you might be good for a long time.

Too bad we can't say the same for the ozone layer.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You mean the one that is regenerated by the sun hitting the sky, which has always had a normally occurring hole at the poles because of lower amounts of sunshine? Yeah, not too worried about that.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:23 PM

r134a isn't really harmful to the ozone as the old stuff.

Better hope its a leak and not the compressor, those can be a pretty penny
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by SR Tech
r134a isn't really harmful to the ozone as the old stuff.

ANY refrigerant is harmful to the ozone/environment when released to the atmosphere. Yes, some are more harmful than others but the less refrigerant needlessly released into the atmosphere the better.

Just FYI, I am a licensed a/c / refrigeration mechanic and don't think an a/c system is something to be working on if your not licensed AND have a good understanding of the dangers it poses. When an a/c system has a leak the leak should be repaired and the system should be vacuumed (to a pressure below atmosphere) to remove all the air and moisture in the system before it is re-charged. If there is air or moisture in the system when it is re-charged or you recharge the system yourself without repairing the leak, you have a really good chance of damaging or ruining the compressor.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 AM

^ got my ASE refrigerant cert in 2005 and deal with it on a daily basis, your preaching to the choir.

The exhaust gases from any motor without a cat is much worse for the environment then 134 EPA mandated freon.

Neither here nor there, just stop quoting the post above yours