Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tib Is Over Heating!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

hey like title says my tib keeps overheating. i changed thermo and it helped alot but after a long rush hour drive its still over heating. i did notice however that once it got hot the fans never kicked on. i check the fuse and everthing is fine. but when i tried to hook up wires and run the fan off the battery directly i got nothing. i just stuck the wires from battery right into the stock fan plug and i got nothing at all.

here is my question. if tommarow i go out and cant find a fan on a good deal i'm going to buy some universal fans from work. if i get universal i would like to hook them up pull style and get those out of my engine bay. does anyone know what all i need to do to make this happen?

also is there any other things that could be causing this over heating? should i even bother grabbing some new relays/fuses while i'm at the yard??

i just wanted some other opinions on the subject.

BTW: i tried to search "fan" and "fans" i got nothing at all. even when you put in "radiator fans" you still dont really get anything thats even realated to the topic. i found some guy in 04 who didnt know what all radiators our cars take....i hate our search engine sometimes....
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

ive got a ton of those. i even have just the motors for the fan. lol.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You mean push style. To push it though to the engine right? Anyway thats probably most of your issue. May have some contamination blocking the cooling system somewhere as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM

hmm well then push style it is. i would buy some from tib_500 but i'ma check local yard first i can probably find em local. but it would be nice to get the fans out the engine bay and tuck more stuff.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM

could be the thermostat thats what caused my overheating btw if it starts overheating while driveing turn on the heat to full blast fing02.gif
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Hows the coolant flow in the engine? maybe you have a kink or a block?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 AM

how can i check coolant flow? i can tell you that the over flow is full alll the time now and for years and years it was allways empty. i have checked and know for a fact that my fan does not work at all. tommarow i'm going yard hunting to find a new fan and also other new goodies to help my engine tuck along. so hopefully tommarow i'll have a clue on what to do next. also tommarow i got some stuff so i can try to start fixing my motorcycle cause i havent ridin it in years.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^Wait until the car is cool, pull the radiator cap off of the top of the radiator, then sit there and watch to see if the coolant on top stays in the same place, or moves once the car warms up. It should show signs of circulation, especially the first time the fan turns on. Once it starts circulating, cap it quickly, or your coolant might overflow onto the ground.

I was once on a road trip from Wichita falls TX, to Las Vegas NV, to Los Angelas CA, to Missoula MT, to Fort Jackson SC. My car overheated in South Dakota. I pulled out the thermostat just to check if it would help. It turned out that my car was leaking coolant from the weep hole in the water pump and not circulating coolant through the engine. Car overheated a few times and it was lots of fun being in the middle of nowhere with a bad water pump. The car is still under warranty though, so I had the dealer throw on a new timing belt for about $50 extra in labor and cost of parts.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM

well if i would say maybe the water pump but this new engine has 45k on it. the waterpump is just fine. the only weirdness i have seen is that there was some dirtyness in the overflow that looked like dirty and shit. right now i'm off to look for fans and hopefully this will fix my problem. i'll keep you guys updated though

hey guys it ended up being that my fan was dead and i got a new one at the yard for 22 bucks. when i was there i picked up a new overflow so i can relocate it and tuck my bay some more. after that next up is fully taking out the power steering system. fing02.gif
Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Did it fix it?

Try some water wetter if you want an extra line of safety.