Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Think my MAF went out

Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent
Default Think my MAF went out

So after a long day of banging my head off of the tib, I believe the MAF to be the culprit. So the issue is that the car will start and idle but won't be a steady idle and fluctuates around 1k. When you try to put the car under any load, it will bog severely and then come to. I have unplugged and plugged the maf with the car running and there doesn't appear to be any changes in performance which makes me think it's bad. I've had a bad maf before but it's been years so forget what happened when the last one went out.

A little bit of back story. I was running a Ford tb so obviously had to redo the TPS wiring but recently bought an Rside tb and finally decided to put it on. I wired an oem TPS in again and have triple checked my wiring for the TPS and am positive it is correct along with swapping out the TPS itself and no improvement. This leads me to believe it is either the MAF going out or the TPS harness connector. On a side note, I have already cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner.

Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Not that it's the only problem, but if you unplug the MAFs and get the same exact behavior, at LEAST the MAFs is likely failed.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

So I picked up a used maf and threw it in the car and it made no difference so I decided to check the wiring. Turns out that one of the maf harness wires had disconnected from a splice (wired in new plug connector) that I did a year or two ago. After I redid the wiring the car ran fine again.

So it was maf related, kinda. Haha.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Solder it.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

http://www.cableorganizer.com/multilink-butt-splices/

I like crimps

I like solder

I like sealed

I like heat shrink

I really like the idea of these

...and I haven't had a need for them yet...