Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

temperature questions

Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 hyundai accent swap 2.0 turbo
Default temperature questions

okay i seem to be having a few problems possibly regarding my cooling system the temperature gauge will go all the way hot and drop some and than go back up again and itll usually repeat this but im fine on coolant and it never seems to boil collant some times the temp gauges is fine i have replaced my thermostat any suggestions would be great oh and im not sure how related it may be but it seems that on/after boost it goes down a little
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

It could be a bad or inaccurate gauge if you're talking about the stock one. I would suggest getting a real temp gauge considering your mods.

Assuming the gauge is correct and you're really overheating I have a few ideas to look into. Forgive me that I am not sure of all of your mods so some ideas may not apply.

If you're running one of the half sized Accent radiators that's probably inadequate.

If you don't have a wideband, your AFR might be too lean while out of boost.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM

welll no need to be forgiven because youre correct i have the half radiator and its getting a little dirty as well i do have a wideband and thats fine it doesnt seem to be related i run pretty much middle stoach when off boost i do have my MAF sensor on the intake side of my turbo tho... for what its worth i wasnt sure if i did that correct but seem to run alright and i could have been low on collant i just topped up with the better part of a jug of 50/50 but havent driven yet ill go for a drive and keep you posted also i want a full radiator but dont have room with my IC piping so how can i fit it in i can email some pics if you have any suggestions i dont really wanna try to rig it in sideways its not a honda after all
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 AM

oh and a few months ago the temp gauge wouldnt move from all the way at the bottom but what kinda grabbed my attention is that it doesnt just shooot sky high it works its way up stays there comes down maybe a centimeter than goes up and continues doing so
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If you don't have room for a full radiator you might want to buy a custom small radiator with more cooling capability. If you can find one for a Civic that is the right dimensions with the right outlets it shouldn't even be expensive.

I would be inclined to run an external temperature gauge though. A lot of Hyundai temp gauges are actually more like warning lights. They have 3 positions that they'll display: cold, normal, hot. On those gauges the needle moves slowly to make it appear that it's an actual gauge. I don't know about your specific gauge, but if the only places the needle typically stops and stays is right in the middle of normal or right at the top of hot, it's probably a 3 state gauge. If it's right on the borderline between hot and normal it would reverse directions as it changed between the two states, but the needle will move slowly and it would never truly stop and hang at say, half way between hot and normal.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:42 PM

okay problem solve my radiator was thirsty i filled it with about 3/4s a pitcher of water (and jumped my car my battery was dead because of me leaving my fogs on) and now im running fine right at about 1/3 heat level right where its suppose to be and i cleaned my battery terminals with, no lie 14 year old, coca-cola loll and now the x3 is back to runnin like a champ i must be magiver give me a pitcher of water and maybe some sea-foam and ill tune someones car any takers? Haha well its like twenty of two and i think the yager is fueling this rant but i wanted to keep this posted... so the advice for the day is TOP OFF YOUR RADIATOR FOR SUMMER!!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

QUOTE (187sks @ Apr 12 2010, 01:49 PM)
A lot of Hyundai temp gauges are actually more like warning lights. They have 3 positions that they'll display: cold, normal, hot.

lol mad machine used to tell me the guage has 3 positions

cold, normal, and you just fried your motor

that philosophy has helped me alot these past years

KEEP A EYE ON YOUR GUAGES
Old 04-12-2010, 11:58 PM

yea i always do and you can normally tell when your running good and you arent after awhile you know your car and you can feel it in throttle but i dont think the 1997 accent gt is 3 position bc mine prolly has like 6 distinct spots it seems to sits in