Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tall 5th Gear

Old 03-22-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this explained to me by a VW guy, aparently it is pretty common for them to do. Most VW's have a number of drivetrain options in gas and diesel and autos and manuals, Ive been told about them taking apart the 5 speeds from a deisel motor that is similar to theres and putting it in the tranny with their gas motor, what this gives them is a golf that cruises on the highway at around 1500rpms, give or take depending on the model. Now this works in VW's because even their gas motors have a respectable amount of torque even at low rpms, and they have a variety of drivetrains in any given model, meaning they have parts to choose from. Now I understand that most hyundai motors are not going to have the torque to turn a drive gear with that high of a gear ratio, but most of the cars on this forums are running a fair bit more power than your average hyundai. I dont know exactly how they do this conversion or if it possible in a hyundai transmission, I know most hyundai models are made in deisels somewhere in the world so it could be possible. If somebody could test this and get a source for these parts from hyundai I think this would make an awesome mod, for guys who do alot of highway driving anyway. has anybody seen this done? will it work?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i think the elantra has a taller 5th gear. you could open up the transmission and replace it, but it is super complicated and we have cheap enough transmissions that we can just replace them.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon

just get the 6 speed.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM

yeah, fitting a 6 speed in a RD is simple enough.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:37 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

LOL

They aren't mang.

It's easy. You get the 4Cyl 6speed Tranny shipped over from Korea, install it.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai tiburon 1.6 TURBO

6 speed tranny form korea????

where can i buy one? what is the price? ohh It amazing that information....please give me more info.

thanks