Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Supposed Oil Leak

Old 09-02-2002, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supposed Oil Leak

Well I woke up today and my friend pointed out to me that I was leaking oil. He told me this before, but I had yet to examine it. When I did today, I did notice a a very minute amount in the driveway. My question is how should I proceed next. I already have 68k on the Tib, so it being under warrenty is out of the question. Is this something that an oil change place can remedy or is this something that needs to be taken to the dealership no matter what? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:05 AM

it maybe simply an oil filter leaking or drain plug not tight enough. From my experience with hyundai they do not have oil leak problems.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:41 AM

Sure it's an engine oil leak? Could be gear oil. Last winter on the way home from a friend's house one of my transaxle seals let go. I could smell it hitting the exhaust pipe, but figured I was just getting a whiff of the breather vent hose.

Once the car sat and the seal cooled off it poured oil out all over the driveway, that stuff sucks to clean up too. The seals are only like 4 bucks though.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:44 AM

How would I found out if it was engine or gear oil? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:13 AM

Taste it. tongue.gif

Nah you can tell if it's gear oil by the smell. It smells really bad compared to engine oil. Also, by where the leak is coming from usually.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:30 AM

i had taken my car to jiffy lube and they screwed up and it was leaking from the filter...NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO JIFFY LUBE...but yeah mine had that problem and all it needed was a good oil change and hasn't done it since wink
Old 09-03-2002, 05:15 AM

My axle seal started to leak on my gearbox on my '97 tib 5-speed around 84k. It might be it. Chris is right on the money as far as the smell, but hey if you want to taste it go for it!!!