Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

stupid clutch

Old 01-29-2005, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid clutch:update:

after waking up at 4:00 pm today i decide to go get my cheek from work because its PAYDAY. well driving home from picking up my cheek from work, a douche bag pulls in front of me for no reason. so i down shift and cheek my mirrors and switch lanes to pass him. out of no where a big popcorn.gif goes off and my car frees up for some reason and keeps going. not knowing what happened i keep driving. i cut through a niehborhood to skip some traffic. and car is fine, it was being a little dificult but i kinda brushed it aside. as leaving the nieghborhood and getting on a big road, the car just dies. im like wtf, and restart and try agian. at this point my cel is going crazy like me. i finally get it to go alittle and put it in second and feel the car trying to die so i stomp the pedal to get off the road. i looked at my spedo and i said ruffly 10 mph, which is a little low when second gear is running at 6000 rpm. so i make it out of the way of traffic and come to the conclusion my clutch just went out on me, after the car is fill with a horrible smell that smelled discretly like a clutch. the moral of the story is...there is none, this situation just sucked horribly til i got ahold of mommy and she told me i could use the talon til i got it fixed and she would pay to fix it for me. so i go home and get mommys credit card and go to a friends house and get online and start my search. my boy at my shop said i should get a new flywheel. so i endup buying a exedy performance clutch set and a fidannza 7.5lb flywheel. total coming to around $700 dollars for everything. thats a little expensive for all the parts so i will be paying mommy back for her nice deed. and another $300 to get everything installed. so about a $1000 total. theres one question i need answered though. the clutch went out at 25000 miles on it. does that mean im just a bad standard tranny driver or do some clutches just not last long. i spent 260 on getting my clutch replaced last time, and that was including parts. any thoughts on if its me, or the clutch, or a combo. and any tips that would make my clutch last a little longer next time. :Thinkingo

next time i wake up so late im just staying in bed 02.gif
:update:
Well my car went in today to get it clutch replaced and i found a major problem with it. theres a bowling ball size whole in the bottom of the tranny where the axles go into it. the guy said it had to have been manufacturer defect or somewhere along the line it got hit extremely hard. is this even worth fixing or should i just scrap the hyundai, sell the h&r kit, rims, intake, and system and take the loss. or do i go in debt 2000 and get it fixed?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:15 AM

My clutch went out when i had just hit 50,000 miles and that's because I treat it well...I guess it depends how often you obuse it/drive it. My clutch went out 25miles out of town...it sucked cause I could go no faster then 10 to 15mph
Old 01-29-2005, 06:53 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

even 50,000 is bad. My car has 90k miles and it still has a strong clutch.. The average Tiburon clutch goes out at 130,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

im running 130k on my car,clutch still works good ;-D, but i did put a tranny in my car at 114... becuz the tranny that was in there was abd when i got the car, got it for 550$ bank repoed wink1.gif
Old 01-29-2005, 08:50 AM

my clutch is at 104,000... getting replaced this spring as a precautionary (and performance) measure.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:50 AM

QUOTE (korean_redneck)
even 50,000 is bad. My car has 90k miles and it still has a strong clutch.. The average Tiburon clutch goes out at 130,000 miles.

I thought that was bad myself...on the bright side, it gave me an excuse to get into the VHR GB a while back
Old 01-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Depending on what you've done to your car it'll go out quicker. A stock clutch on a stock car should last 100,000 miles if its made properly and driven vigourously but correctly. When you start modifying your car, thats when you run into problems. Messing up with 180hp running through your clutch is a lot different then with 120hp.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:29 PM

My father-in-law drove my car and said the clutch shouldn't be releasing that far away from the floow. It is releasing almost all the way at the top. Does this necessarily mean I need a new clutch or is there an adjustment for pedal play?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You adjust the clutch play... how do you ppl drive stick without knowing how to do this stuff... I bet 90% of the clutches that go out could've been avoided...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM

i dont know how easy you guys are driving your cars because as far as im concerned hyundai drivetrains blow. i only have 80k on my car and i am on my third clutch (changed at 37k then 68k) and second tranny because my first one blew up big time....two holes big enough to fit my fist in with room to spare...this is probably due to the fact that i race....a lot...but still a tranny should not blow up like that unless your running some serious hp...and as for adjusting clucth play i have no idea how to either can someone throw me a line to fill me in?