Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Stuck Oil Rings vs Worn Oil Rings

Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Santa Fe
Default Stuck Oil Rings vs Worn Oil Rings

Do oil control rings really ever wear out? When I hear people say, you've blown your oil rings, what exactly does this mean? Lets assume compression is good.

I can understand how oil control rings could get stuck in the lands if people let their oil go too long leaving sludge, etc to get the rings stuck, but I dont understand how they could become worn.

If they're worn, what is this caused by. Do you have to really beat on the engine?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

They rub just like all the other rings but yes usually caused by lack of oil. Test if it is a stuck rings by throwing some sea foam in the cylinders with spark plugs out and leaving it for a couple hours then rotate the engine add some more then leave it in over night(Put plugs in while over night to protect stuff from getting in the engine then remove again when you wake up) then rotate the engine a couple more times install spark plugs, start car, watch smoke screen and if they where stuck they shouldn't be anymore. This is primarily a problem on 2 stroke vehicles with improper mixing not enough lubrication to the rings or diesel engines I have seen it but normally it is a broken or worn ring not stuck ring. Do a leak down test as well to see what is going on.