Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Steel Braided Hoses

Old 04-28-2002, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Braided Hoses

Im covering all my hoses with this stuff, so i have to take them off, what do i have to know before i do this, i know the engine should be cold, but like the top radiator one, and the 2 running into the tranny what should i do so i dont make a mess, any tips tricks? ill take pics and creat a FAQ for everybody
Old 04-28-2002, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

The engine has to be cold man, or you'll look like a boiled lobster after you're done taking the top and bottom radiator hoses out. Replacing the stock clamps with hose clips is a good idea, these do much better stopping leaks, and using some(not too much mind you)RTV helps the hoses seal so much better! Also, inspect the hoses on removal, and get replacements if you find any cracking or hardened rubber.

Good luck with it man...
Old 04-28-2002, 10:34 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent

Viper, I am in the middle of the same project, and let me tell ya it is a pain in the @$$ !

I was given a word of advice, when you remove a hose get a screw or bolt that is about the same size or a little larger, and then when you pull one end of the hose off, stick the bolt in the hose to stop fluid leak, also get some thick cardboard or a large tray to put under your car, also make sure you have what ever fluids your gonna loose on hand to re-fill what comes out.

Good luck, I have only gotten the upper radiator hose cover on, and it looks sweet, the metal covers that go on the ends don't fit perfect in fact I had to cut one down a bit or it just rattled around. Deff go with the aligator clamps, trying to get those pressure ones back on the hose with the mesh is close to damn near impossible...figured that out after 20min of trying!
Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you guys drain your coolant, then flush it with plain water in preperation of doing this, it makes things much easier. Water doesn't make much of a mess!

Just make sure you drain all the water out and replace it with a proper water/coolant mix when you are done.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

Um, rubber washing-up gloves work well too. I stuffed one in the hole in the block and one in the rad to stop the rad fluid from leaking out!

You can just see my top hose in this pic
Old 04-28-2002, 11:54 PM

Well i'm thinking about doing this project, do you just drain your coolant and then take the hoses off? why should you flush it with water?
procedures tips tricks? Thankx guys!
Old 04-29-2002, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Decker:
do you just drain your coolant and then take the hoses off? why should you flush it with water?
procedures tips tricks? Thankx guys!
Because every so often you should flush and refill your cooling system. If you are going to do the hose mod, you might as well do the flush and refill at the same time.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Riot:
I was given a word of advice, when you remove a hose get a screw or bolt that is about the same size or a little larger, and then when you pull one end of the hose off, stick the bolt in the hose to stop fluid leak,
RIOT! Glad to see you're spreading my advise.

Just make sure it's a CLEAN bolt.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:24 AM

i dont get what ur saying about this bolt thing