Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

SR headers and MBRP catback; making it work?

Old 09-01-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR headers and MBRP catback; making it work?

OK, exactly what needs to be done to the sharkracing 4-1 headers and the MBRP catback to make them fit each other, cuz just looking at the pictures, it seems like the ends and flanges line up. also, can you take the cat off your stock manifold and put it on the new pipes? or do you have to get a new one? does it detach? and where do you put? it thanks
Old 09-01-2002, 12:48 AM

u dont need the cat on the stock headers. the SR headers bolt on to your cat and the exhaust bolts onto the other end of your cat
Old 09-01-2002, 05:07 AM

ok, i have the exact same setup. What your going to have to do is get a highflow cat. The stock cat is welded onto your exhaust manifold and can't be removed.

what i did is cut a section out of the mrbp exhaust near the headers and put my carsound cat inline. I also had to weld a o2 sensor bung after the cat for the second sensor. Extend both wires for the o2 sensors so they fit in the exhaust.

that should be about it. here are my pictures of when i installed my exhaust.
http://www.rai-usa.com/tibby/exhaust/
Old 09-02-2002, 06:42 AM

hey decker, thanks man for the pics. since i'm gonna have the exact same setup, could you tell me how much the second sensor hole drilling and extending the wires cost you, as well as the cost of cutting the MBRP exhaust and welding the new cat to it? basically how much did the actual install cost? assuming i've already got all the parts, (headers, exhaust, cat and wrap). thanks again.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Hey Decker how much did it cost to get the carsound cat and extending the O2 sensors? Thanks.

[ September 02, 2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Sharky NRK ]
Old 09-02-2002, 08:22 AM

I have HVE 4-1 headers and it cost me $130 for the cat, and $50 for the flexpipe, and $20 for welding. The O2 sensor flange didn't need to extend the wires at all.

It cost me $200 total.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:54 AM

well the carsound cat i got for $60 on the SR groupbuy. I highly recommend the carsound really good.

i did all the install myself with the help from a buddy. You can extend the wires yourself, its really easy if your any good with sodering. Its just 4 wires inside a heat jacket. Cut the jacket and splice the wires.

I did have a bigger glasspack put in later. i now have a thrush 48" dual layer. Keeps it nice and purry. I had a hole in my exhaust(go me!) and it was really loud, so i ordred the glasspack thinking it would make it softer. after i installed it, i found the hole and patched it.

anyway.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:09 PM

Ya I spent $130 on the stupid cat because I thought I could get away with no cat at all...but my engine disagreed with me...I didn't have time to for one to ship to me, so I had to pay for it then and there. But man it flew without a cat on there!! It still is faster, but not quite as fast as it could be. Getting my AEM intake this week...hopefully by Wednesday. Maybe I will take some pics for yall.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:13 PM

thanks decker. now everyone humor me. does the MBRP catback mount right up to the sr headers assuming there's NO cat there? from the pics it looks like it does. it looks like if there is just the headers, downpipe and midpipe that it would line up. i'm considering (because i'm cheap as ass)no cat, and buying one of those silencers that goes in the muffler, cuz they're only 40 bucks or so. also i keep hearing about these O2 simulators, that you hook up to the second sensor to tell your engine that its all running good. does anyone have experience with em? thanks all