Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Spark Plug Cover Bolts Stuck

Old 03-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

you guys know what to do if a few of the spark plug cover 10mm's are stuck? i keep turning left + right infinite times and it seems like the base is revolving with it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Threads probably messed up. Will have to tap it most likely - basically a kit that allows you to drill into the head of the bolt/thread, then slowly back it up out of the hole.

Did they work last time you put them in? You might have cross threaded them putting them back in and messed up the thread.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM

awww!! i would never ever allow overtightening of such simple screws! but there you have it i should never allow someone else to do an easy job too. long story but last time i took the boots off of my car i snapped them. i did them properly using the boot tool with the elantra, and sure enough for reasons not known the connector separated from the boot and got stuck. they were all lubricated.

so a few weeks ago my valve cover gasket had this massive oil leak and smelled like toxic fumes inside the cabin. i had no time with school in the way, need the car and i wanted to get it repaired asap. so i had taken it to the shop down the street and get my reverse lights fixed as well (from the swap). low and behold f---wk. yeah uughh i need to go back. funny because you never think these small things can happen!
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those bolts are supposed to be like 8FTlbs. Take it back and make the guy fix it.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:22 AM

by the way, do you know where we can get new dp gaskets? this exhaust smell in the cabin is killin'. the valve cover only fixed the majority of it. i threaded and put the plugs in myself. must be a bad gasket in the DP.

oh problems on top of problems of modifying. it's best to wait and do it yourself.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you want to pull the bolt & threaded insert out yourself, just pull. Gently if possible, but pull up on the part while turning the bolt. It should leave a hole you can clean, put some epoxy into, and reseat the threaded insert.

Though you may want to have the shop that messed it up for you, buy you a new valve cover.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 AM

that's precisely what i had in mind, but with a socket it's hard unless i can turn and pull at the same time. i will give it a shot this afternoon if i don't decide to take a nap!

grrrrr didn't think something like this could bother me right now. i've got issues with my downpipe seal. i've got a day's work ahead including replacing the rusted bolts & gaskets from when i drove to FL and my waterpump overheated causing extreme temperatures. i just have had no time to even think about the car and that's what happens when you don't trust yourself with that breakable silicone. not to mention the time a boot shattered and peices fell into the cylinder port and i had to chip away a perfectly good plug and suck it all out at 4am.

damnit everything's got a story to it with me! oh the evap this, the DTC that, the valve bolts this, the exhaust leak that... the CAI hit the battery terminal & caused a permanent CEL. i don't date weird unhot girls. why can't everything just be simple. mad.gif
Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM
DTN

well, i can't help your choice in women, but I can tell you that advanced auto parts has exhaust gaskets in the back in just about every size. Get the old one out, bring it down to the parts store, and put the new one in.

btw... my water pump went out on a long drive as well... wierd.