Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.
View Poll Results: which one?
gripforce (ebay guy but i've dealt with him before)
7.69%
Southbend(F&*K spec)
23.08%
ACT(best brand but i'm broke)
69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Someone Help Me Pick A Clutch

Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

ok so i went and picked up my beta2 tranny yesterday so now i have to pick a clutch and flywheel

for the flywheel i'm pretty much decided on the gripforce 11lb chromoly. i've heard nothing but good things about it, but on the clutch tip i've heard a mixed bag on everything. im down to 3 choices and they all are good ones i' think but i've heard bad things about all of them so here is what i've come down to

1. Gripforce stage 3 aka F1 stage 3
this one is a ebay guy who i dealt with before to get my current stage1 clutch which is basicaly a stocker with a diffrent ring on the PP. but he had good serivce and i've had a turbo member on here tell me that his is working great for him after several months at about 10psi.
its also the only one with a copper ceramic disc matterial, and this clutch claims it can hold up to 300HP.

2.Southbend rally series (click on product info)
Heres what they had to say:" Rally kits contain a modified high performance pressure plate and heavy duty organic disc. The linings on this disc are premium woven medium metal content lining. This facing has a 9000 RPM burst and dissipates heat quicker then any other organic lining on the market. This kit generates 1/3 more torque then stock. Also included in the kit are a throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool."
Heres what xxmonoxide allways has to say: "F%&k spec , SOUTHBEND FTW!!!"

3. ACT 6puck clutch kit

we all know how good the quality is over at ACT the problem with them is the cost which if i get this clutch i have to buy a stock flywheel because it costs so much. which really just puts me off to this oe all together
Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If you do go with ACT, you will have to call and order it. You want part # HY1-HDG6, thats the sprung disc, you will hate the unsprung disc that comes with the R6 part number.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Banned

i would recommend ACT, just because i have one and i LOVE it, and i recommended it to landshark, and he loves it. it is a lil more on the pricey side, but worth it so far.. the engagement is AWESOME, and not hard on the foot, but you can really feel the pedal.

the southbend wont hold as much power (at least the ralley series) but are supposedly really good clutches, and hacing the organic full face disc, better with 'more stocklike' engagement.

i wouldnt get any ebay crap, cept the chromoly flywheel.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

VALEO HYPER RACING

Contact MadJohn, he can hook it up.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

If he is worried about the price of an ACT clutch, theres no way he would be getting the Valeo Hyper Racing clutch set, even though it sees like a good clutch.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

yeah, those sets with flywheels are like 700-800$, and madjohn is kinda like MIA for a long time..
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah i have also heard recomendations from a few guys for clutch-net, and ive driven an unsprung clutchnet red and it actually wasnt too bad engaging, i figured it would be worse.

gripforce is solid, but im sure when i get up into the high 200's itll probably start slipping.
but for the price and mid ranged boost, its worth it.

Its called a "stage 3" but we've all agreed in other threads it most likely would be better associated as a stage 2 or 2.5 or something because its rated for ~285whp. But its all semantics when you get into "stages"
Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 AM

I jus got the ACT organic performance disc and freakin love it man so that's what I would recommend. If it's truly the price putting you out from buying one, go to www.carolinaclutch.com and you can get the sprung hub 6 pad for like $310 rather than like 375-400 everywhere else. I believe you also get free ground shipping from them.

Also, whan looking at the centerforce 2 clutch kits and seeing them priced a bit lower than the ACT's, you have to realize that their clutch kits don't come with a throwout bearing which is another $55 so be sure that you add everything up before making a final decision.

Finally, with most of the operformance clutch kits, you'll probably have to order a $5 alignment tool because for some reason most of them don't come with one.

Just a few things I came to realize when getting a new clutch for my car.

P.S. - The clutch doesn't hold horsepower, it holds torque. Be careful that you don't have more torque output then the clutch can hold, (ACT organic perf - 263 ft. lbs, 4 and 6 puck - 303 ft. lbs.) which I doubt will happen since at 6000 RPM the stock 4 cyl tib only puts out approx. 114 ft. lbs, but if you do the clutch will slip and burn the disc out really fast, thereby wasting 400 dollars at least of your hard earned dough.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: Had 96 Elantra Wagon

I second the Clutch Net, they are the only clutch I have ran in my car and I have never had a issue with it. Mine is now a Red (xtreme) PP and a Sprung 3 Puck Disc. If it can hold up to my HP levels it will hold up to anyone else's on this site. fing02.gif
Old 07-03-2007, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

i have the southbend rally spec clutch and i think its awesome, grips hard and the engagment is great,

i have another one that i've never even touched, opened once to see what it was so it should be in perfect mechanical condition, ill post a few pictures if you want, i can let it go for less then if you bought it from them since i have no use for it

let me know