Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Should I Swap Motors?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Well I have a decision that I need to make before going boosted with the tibby, which is hopefully by winter. There are 2 paths that I wanna go with this one. I can either keep the stock motor and and change all the piston rings and hone the cylinder so that it all fits, cuz right now I have roughly 127k on the tibby with near perfect compression. Its like 225,230,235,235, but if i check it again it should be should be straight across the board like it was bout a month ago. But the head has a broken cam journal bolt cam that wont come out(ive tried, its toasted) and two cam journal bolts that are kinda stripped. (Due to 1.8 cam swap, grr. Torque wrench sucked.) So I have a spare beta I head that I could have ported and polished and jus slap it on the block. Its a 1.8 so no cam swap, why I bought it so I wouldnt chance breaking bolts with that again.

Or option b could be, buy a spare beta I motor that has 47k miles on it for like $200 that came out of a junked elantra and just do all the appropriate turbo stuff to that and drop it in. Im keeping stock compression btw. (Is there a way to check compression of a motor if its out of the car? I was always under the assumption that it had to be at operating temp to do so?)

So to all of you on here, what do you think would honestly be the best decision for me to go here? Thanks for your advice if you will.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to be honest, if the engine you are wanting to pull is in good condition, i'd do that. it has 100k less miles on it, and you could still drive your car while building the new engine OUT of the car. it'd be easier and you could still drive (this is assuming you only have one car lol) not to mention you wouldnt have to fix the journal bolt mess. just my 2 cents
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

If you can get a 47k mile engine for as little 200$, I would do it! I would just drop it in.
What exactly are you looking to do to the internals (you said you are keeping stock compression)?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Yeah I planned on keeping stock compression for now. Well the motor I was gonna buy was bought by someone else so now I gotta find another one. I found a guy who had a beta I for sale for like $75. Only problem is it snapped the timing belt. Not sure if the valves or bent or anythink, but I have a spare head sitting in my shed, so that wouldnt be a problem for me really. I only really wanna do one motor swap instead of two if at all possible. I could get a new motor, swap n boost it and in the meantime build the one that Id be pulling n whenever thats done swap it back in. Trying to decide whats the best thing really. The motor for $75 only has 120k miles or so on it. Trying to decide what to do.

*edit* I jus found a motor for $300 including core charge that has 41k on it. Yay, i may go with that boost it and drop it in the tibby. Its only like 70 miles away from me too, this may be the best deal ive found in awhile.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Yeah just getting a low mileage engine and dropping it in is really a great option. I wouldn't bother replacing internals and such unless I was going for really high boost and lower comp
Old 09-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah thats why I wanted to do that. Ive heard the beta head can handle roughly 15psi jus being stock. Im shooting for 10-12psi right now and im trying to break at least 250hp. 300hp would be great but I highly doubt that. lol. Im trying to decide if i should keep the same tranny or not. 3rd gear is grinding and the tranny leaks. One of the bolts near the drain plug, the actual bolt hole is stripped. But not the bolt itself. Would helicoil fix this and maybe some redline tranny fluid that Ive heard wonders about?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 PM

15psi would be pushing it a lil.. 10-12 would be safer
if you have cash for a newer tranny, swap that too for sure

btw: how the hell do you people find such good deals, $300 on a motor.. i paid $400 for a tranny with 20k on it
Old 09-05-2009, 02:02 PM

I used car-part.com my man. Plus round here ppl usually dont respect hyundai's round here so they go for cheaper. Better for me honestly. Well i did have a beta II tranny that I bought off of here but it was stuck in between 5th and reverse. I sent it back and thats what he said. So now I prolly should go for another tranny. Trannies on the other hand round here arent so cheap.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Get a newer motor and drop it in.

I got my Beta 2 motor and tranny with 23k on it for $200. lol
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the big secret is buy elantra tranny's and motor's. motors are the same and the tranny's only difference is a taller 5th gear. Most places don't know they are interchangeable.