Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Slave Cylinder Shot?

Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tonight i was driving down the road and thankfully it wasnt on the highway! But anyways i stoped at a stop sign then i took off in first gear, and shifted to second. Then my clutch pedal went really soft and actually went all the way to the floor! After that it got really hard, so hard i couldnt even push it in. So i pulled over and looked under the hood and right away i noticed my slave cylinder looked kinda funny. Its opened all the way and i dont know what to do now. Should i go to the junkyard and pull one off a car or get a brand new one. I do have a couple pics but im not sure how i should post them on here. If you got any advice could ya help me out? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

They cost like $25 from the auto parts store, and the main functioning part (set of seals) is a wear item. Get one over the counter or rebuild your own, if yours has failed.

If you push the piston back into the slave cylinder, can you drive the car still, or will it pop back out again? If it pops back out when you push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, try (seriously) not pushing the clutch pedal all the way down, just far enough to release the clutch. You can use your finger to actuate the clutch switch to let you start the car.

Pull the rubber boot off the slave cylinder's piston. Leaking oil = bad indication.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:23 PM

hah no the clutch pedal is stiff as hell and i cant push it down. Or atleast it only moves a little bit but not enough to start the car at all thats the problem, and yeah the rod is completely pushed out. Im probably gunna be goin to O'reillys and just replace the whole thing...oh yeah while i have it out should i do the slave cylinder mod that alot of you have done while im at it?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'd highly recommend getting one from a dealer or from napa. It wasn't much more and the one I got from autozone (think it was something like luck brand?) exploded the first time I drove it and had to have it towed home. I think it was just the snap ring broke but I returned it to autozone.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:27 PM

oh haha alright man thanks! i appreciate it, but yeah i would never buy any parts for my car from there anyways.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Buy the rebuild kit, it is cheaper. I think it was about $8 plus tax from Autozone.

Here it is online from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CAVTTO.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Crack the bleeder valve to relieve any pressure built up in the line

Try to get the piston back in the cylinder

Tighten bleeder & add fluid

. . . ?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM

I said hell with it and just ordered a new one from O'reilys yesterday. Its like $28.95 or something....soo i dont care im just gunna replace it and not worry bout the oem one breaking on me again!