Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Sensor Signal Modifier chip - good idea or bad?

Old 08-13-2002, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor Signal Modifier chip - good idea or bad?

I saw a device called a sensor modifier chip for sale. Essentially it runs inline with the temperature sensor and makes the engine think its running cooler (or taking in cooler air) then it really is so that more fuel is sent to the injectors. They claim that its safe since the computer will detect if the engine is pinging or knocking the computer will automatically readjust the fuel. Just curious to see what the general take on these things are and if I should bother with it or not.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:28 AM

do a search for "ebay timing advance" in this category and you'll find plenty of responses about this and other favorites. no, it is not a good idea.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:32 AM

Since I noticed one of the auctions closing at like 3 bucks, I opted for it. Apon receiving said merchendise it was nothing but a resistor with a wire sticking out of either end. Fancy schmancy! So I poped out my sensor, took the nozzle off of it, and shoved this little wire in there. Start my car up and gee, what a surprise. Performance loss, , crappy idle, and 1 minute later, CEL light. Popped that POS out of there and still had to disconnect my battery for 10 minutes to reset the CEL. Do not waste your time with this kind of crap. I think on average HP to cost ratio is something like 1/$30. If the cost is ridiculously less, then dont buy it. You have been warned!
Old 08-13-2002, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the info - I did do a search here first, guess I didn't use the right search terms. Definatly will avoid it now. I was leaning away from it strictly on the "Too good to be true" rule but figured it'd be interesting to find out the real info.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:37 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

theroeticly such a devise woulkd work...but i think they did it wrong

if you replaced the sensor with something that would tell the computer its getting hotter air than it actually is, then maybe it could remove that extra safty fuel....it could give you better gas milage, and a performance increase.

but it could not simply be a resistor...it would have to monitor the air temperature and change its resistance accordingly
Old 08-13-2002, 05:30 AM

have you also seen the guys on ebay with the $20 "supercharger" claiming that putting a computer fan in his intake is actually acting like a supercharger? i cnat understand how these people can get a way with it. i work at dealer and have seen a few cars come in just trashed. the kids didnt know what they were doing and caused major damage. We wouldnt warranty it when some kid fryed his ecu and tore into his engine harness to try and wire washer LED's!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:33 AM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dam washer nozzles
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:34 AM

yeesh, that's bad! lol. at some point, you kind of have to blame the kid for not doing his homework before slicing into his ecu's wiring. i mean cigarette and alcohol companies put the product out there, but no one has to use them. i guess these guys on ebay can use the same tactic, offer the "product," but deny liability should anything go wrong.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:34 AM

jaws did you figure that wiring problem out yet? sorry ic ouldnt help more.