Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Relation between muffler size and exhaust tone

Old 08-13-2002, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relation between muffler size and exhaust tone

I'm still wanting to learn more about exhaust systems and I was wondering about it. So,
1) is a bigger muffler capable of emiting a more deep exhaust note? Is it non related?
2) Supose you can choose between a 5"(tall)x8"(wide)x14"(length) oval and a 5"x8"x18"? What would be the best for a non too noisy Beta engine?
3)Can you install Offset inlet/Offset outlet mufflers on a Tibby or Elantra?
4) Would a "Turbo" Muffler (let's talk about a Magnaflow) would be a good choice, or are they actually --really-- for turbo charged engines?
We are always talking about a N/A car that will stay N/A.
Thanks, any feedback would be apreciated.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:25 AM

its all about the tip mostly... thicker walled tips make a deeper exhaust tone cuz they dont reverb as much, thin tips will sound ricey and farty.... i went through 3 mufflers before i found the sound that i wanted 2 keep, and it eneded up being a cheap 3a racing muffler but it has a heaver sturdy tip on it
Old 08-13-2002, 09:34 AM

its not all in the tip you get different sounds if you change your overall exhaust tubing size too, dont think of just the muffler

[ August 13, 2002, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: VERN@ ]