Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

RS cai

Old 03-29-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS cai

Random,

I am sure this is already posted but i cant seem to find it, but about what gain is the random special giving? I have put it on my tib for temp use and it seems to be doing a good job. But i am wondering about the numbers.

thanks!
Old 03-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

as posted on the install page

Dyno of stock vs RS-CAI with partial Heatwrap
Old 03-29-2002, 05:08 PM

That was almost a year ago, and every time i see that dyno, i still am in awe. 6HP and 7Torque on a CAI? I dont think we will ever see another CAI for the beta engine with those numbers. Hopefully the SR one will come close...
Old 03-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Time to send Yamaneko back to grade 1 math! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

5.8 HP and 6.0 Ft Lbs of torque.

I'm hoping that someone's CAI DOES beat mine! It'd be nice to know that they are more than just purdy to look at!
Old 03-29-2002, 05:23 PM

Dang. I need to stop staying up so late at night. Its affecting my brain. It would be nice seeing a CAI beat yours, but it seems doubtful when the two most popular ones of last year peaked at 1-2 HP increases.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:48 PM

for the longest time i coulden't figure out why or how it was getting all those jumps in performance, until the other night when i was tired.. GG Physics and lower air pressure due to the ridges in the flex pipe!
Old 03-30-2002, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner

I'm sure with HEAT WRAP and or CERAMIC COATING any CAI on the market would match or beat Randoms... (if I'm not mistaken the RS was wrapped) but he knows I still luv the guy tongue.gif

[ March 30, 2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Bat Lord ]
Old 03-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

The dyno above was with partial heat wrapping. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the intake was heat wrapped.

But to be honest, in dyno testing, the heat wrapping or ceramic coating makes little/no difference. On the dyno, the engine is just warm, not hot, the hood is up allowing engine/underhood heat to dissapate, and the dyno run itself is not long enough to transmit heat to the metal in the CAI.

The OBD-ii sensor readings taken at the time of the dyno showed air temps with the stock intake with the resonator removed vs the RS-CAI were only about 10 degrees. (12 if I remember right 82 for stock minus resontator and 70 for the RS. Amient recored by the dyno was 68). The test vs stock showed the gain simply because the higher volume of air, rather than the decrease in temp.

The Thermal wrap, or ceramic coating mainly helps in the "real world" where under hood temps soar above 150 degrees, and the hood is closed trapping that heat. Also in the real world the engine is run for longer periods of time, giving the metal in the intake a chance to heat up.

In the end, all the questions will be answered when Rob of HP.com does his CAI dyno showdown. In addition to the dyno numbers, we will also have the OBD-ii info, and hopefully, we will also be able to record the "sound" of each CAI so that people can hear the differences.

Again. I hope that someone's intake DOES beat mine. I honestly cannot believe that the materials/construction that I use make such a BIG difference vs the "conventional" smooth walled/bored CAI's. It flys in the face of what little I know of fluid/air dynamics, however...it works...so it's what I use!
Old 03-30-2002, 04:21 PM

Leave it to Random to needlessly complicate things.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:34 AM

I have been dynoed over 120 hp/trq with just the intake from Injen. I have no stock comparison numbers. This sounds stupid but I have no dyno sheet with me at the moment. I am waiting for it to be emailed to me. If you don't believe me, I understand. pbhou can back me up on this one though.