Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

RPM Bounce

Old 11-23-2004, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Re: Mussa

Ok before you all tell me to search, I already did. Theres lotsa stuff about RPM pulses and so forth, but they are all at idle, and this is where mine is greatly different. While idling, my car is completely normal.

First of all, I want to point out that when my tib is driven for awhile, most the time only when "city driving" so to speak (where I have been driving but stopping a lot) my RPM's raise to an idle of 2000. I do not know if this is normal or not, but my car has always done it and Ive seen other cars do it as well. After idling for awhile, they return back to 1000. This is not my problem, simply some background info.

Now the problem: During these times of high RPM idle, my rpms have started to bouce (pulsate) from 2000 to 2250, back and forth between there for a good couple of minutes. I have no idea what would cause that, and everything else seemed to be alright, so i kept driving it. Eventually it stopped happening. Well a week later, its happening again, except this time not only does it bounce there at idle, if i rev it and let the rpms fall (or even just when i engage the clutch and the rpms drop) the needle bounces in steps the whole way down. for example: while the rpms are falling, they will catch around 3500 and bounce to 3750, fall to 3000, then to 3250, fall to 2500, bounce to 2750, and then go to 2000 and do what it did before and continue to bounce from 2000 to 2250 for awhile...

While driving everything is completely normal, nothing out of the ordinary. it only happens while high idling or rpm drop, and as soon as i engage the clutch, it goes away. No CEL either. If anyone has any ideas as to whats going on or how to fix it, please let me know. I tried to explain it thouroughly, but if there are any other questions, id be happy to answer them. Thanks a lot.

(I can't spell, I had to fix some things... 8) )
Old 11-23-2004, 07:51 PM

Default Re: RIP Black Tiburon

TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Change it

Take a look at it,
If you have a "DAESUNG" TPS, get it replaced.
There's a TSB on it. It should be replaced with a "Kefico" TPS.

If you still have warranty, take it to the dealership.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:55 PM

Default Re: RPM Bounce

i have seen that before on mine a couple of times not real worried dont know what it is
Old 11-23-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: My experiences with PowerChip

Thanks a lot kayjai!! unfortunately i no longer have a warrenty but thats alright.... and for some reason i knew what TPS stood for, but have know idea what TSB is. can ya help me out with that one? haha thanks again (and sorry for making you answer again too...)
Old 11-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: iPod mount

TSB = Technical Service Bulliten
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Official Member Listing of Crooked H

thanks redz, appreciate it