Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Reverse Disappeared?

Old 02-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ever since i've had an STS, I have always had a problem with reverse. After the first STS, I went to stock and didnt have any problems. Then I got a different STS and gradually reverse was becoming a problem. Now I cant even find it(reverse that is). I tried to switch back to stock and problem was still there. I tried 1st gear to reverse, didnt work. I tried cutting the base, didnt do anything. I tried adjusting the cables, once again didnt do anything. Im out of ideas and I really need reverse back! Help! Yes I did search too!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

you're talking about a Short Throw Shifter? Try removing the cover and check to see if it will go into gear without the cover blocking it from moving. that should give you a good starting point. And, if this is ACTUALLY related to the Short throw shifter, adjusting the cables WILL work. Otherwise the problem is located inside your transmission and will cost more then $900 to fix from a mechanic.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Would you happen to know what can cause this internally? 1st-5th work fine with and w/o cover. Reverse doesnt work even w/o the cover. If I got a another transmission, is there a chance it would fix it?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

is it really hard to try and get it into gear? does it feel like it wont even go in? or will it go in, and not engage anything?

have you checked the lil bushing that pops on the bottom of the shifter? is it wedged in anything. i know i had that problem and i couldnt shift into 5th or reverse?

check that bushing..

if its a cable issue, you should also be having problems with 5th, thats the one that pulls the one cable for reverse and 5th i believe.

have you tried messing with where the actual cables engage the gears in the engine bay?

if your just having trouble getting into reverse, it may be the actual gear. did it ever grind much when you put it into reverse?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 PM
DTN

^^ the cables can be adjusted so the shifter is foreward/backwards and left/right. The hole is circular. If the cables are not adjusted correctly, the problem can be only 1st, 2nd, 5th and REV because of the circular hole.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

soo confused on wtf you just said.. i am not really sure, but i havent ever adjusted my cables and i have a STS, with no shifting problems ot looseness..

which circular hole? pardon my n00bness
Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 PM

What shifter are you using, the earlly r-side ss had the problem with the bushing coming off the bottom, the cheaper obx ss also had a problem with the bushing since it didn't come with one and the stock one had to much play if you used it. I had to adjust the cables a little with my r-side to keep it from hitting while going into 5th or reverse, it your stock shifter works there is nothing wrong with the tranny.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
DTN

if the bushing is missing or damaged, the shifter will be very sloppy and you should notice.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:35 PM

I am currently using the ARK STS. Socks and I were talking and we are starting to think that it has to do with the cables under the hood.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

his bushing is fine.. it sounds like something with the mechanisms in the engine bay, particularily the one with the spring on it.. i am talking to him via AIM right now trying to get it worked out..

good news is, he got it to work 3 times after messing with the shifter mechs. in bay, bad news.. stopped working.. lmao.gif