Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Replacing rings

Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rings

Not sure I need to yet (see Oil Consumption in the HELP forum), but if I do, I was wondering:

How hard of a job is it? Are there aftermarket equivalents for rings that do a better job sealing? I've looked at the shop manual and webtech; but I'd like real world advice.

I imagine I'd need a ring compressor, but would I need to pull the engine, or could I unbolt the pistons from underneath with the oil pan removed (and head removed, obviously).

Just curious. I've spent so much time researching turbo stuff, I neglected a lot on how-to's, routine maintenance, and so on.

thanks,
ac
Old 02-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could maybe go without pulling your motor but I sorta doubt it. It's been awhile since I've paid close attention to the underside of my car (2002 Elantra with same drivetrain as tib) but if I remember correctly, your transaxles might be in your way. On top of that, it could turn into a major pain in the *** trying to pull your motor apart from underneathe your car even if you do save the work of pulling it out. I would think it might be easier to just pull your motor if you've got the time. If you have a hydrolic lift you might be able to do all the work from under the car but I can't imagine trying to lay down in a drive way for hours trying to pull guts out of a motor. I couldn't tell you whether or not you would need a ring compressor but as you said, I would imagine so. As for after market rings, I don't know about buying them seperate. I know that any aftermarket pistons you buy come with rings but a lot of them if not all are I believe at least 83mm and stock size is 82mm so I would assume they wouldn't fit. If you ARE going to pull out the guts to your motor then I would absolutely suggest to get aftermarket pistons if you're going to do all of that work. CNK has 8.5:1 pistons for if you're going to put a turbo on for like $250. The only problem with that is A:If you don't have the turbo on right away you'll lose quite a bit of power and B:They're 83mm so you WOULD have to pull your motor out and have it match bored. Maybe someone else knows where to find aftermarket rings but I've found close to everything for the Beta motors and I've never seen piston rings seperate. I hope some of this might help. Sorry I couldn't help anymore than this.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

To replace rings..

Remove head
Remove oil pan
remove rod bolts
Remove piston/rod assembly up through the top of the block.

Install is reverse

However...if your rings are bad, your cylinder bores will need, at a MINIMUM to be rehoned, more likely, slightly bored and rehoned. This means new oversized pisions, and new oversized rings...and it also means the block has to be removed.