Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

The use of ceramic coating

Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The use of ceramic coating

I am just wondering if there is any place that anyone knows of that coats engine components in ceramic and what kinda prices they have? I obviously know that ceramic is a much smoother surface than metal so it cuts down on friction and heat but are there any other benefits or even downsides to coating something in ceramic. I am also not too familiar with the procedure of coating something in ceramic. Is it somehow atomized onto a surface? What kind of surface area would it add (for simplicity sake take an 83mm piston and coat it, would it be closer to 84mm?)? If it would benefit me drastically then I would consider getting damn near my entire engine coated in ceramic including pistons, rods, crank shaft, bolts, cylinder walls, piston rings and maybe even work my way to the transmission. If this sounds insane and as if I shouldn't do it then please let me know because I don't know too much about coating engine components with ceramic or if any of the above that I mentioned might sound stupid to put ceramic on then let me know. I really appreciate it. I am planning on putting a higher flow radiator on my car but I am going to try and push close to 550whp (25psi turbo while running cam2) so I will want to keep heat to a minimum. On just premium I am planning to run about 15psi and hopefully push close to 350whp. I will definitely keep everyone informed once this all starts to happen and post dynos after all is done. Thanks in advance for helping me out with this sorta decision.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Damn, you could do a whole book on ceramic coating.

There are MANY different companies that do ceramic coating, and many different styles/types of ceramic coating.

You can Ceramic coat...

the interior of exhaust components for better gas/air flow and/or for heat retension

The exterior of exhaust components to prevent heat radiation and/or heat retension, for corrosion protection (similar to powercoating), or just for appearances.

Turbo's, and impellers for the same reasons as above.

Valves can be coated on the back sides to improve flow, and on their combustion chamber sides to reflect heat/prevent heat absorption.

the Head side of the combustion chamber can also be coated to reflect heat/prevent heat absorption.

the intake/exhaust ports leading up to the valves can be coated to improve flow, reflect heat/prevent heat transfer, or both.

Pistion's usually only get their tops coated to reflect heat/prevent heat absorption.

The pistion skirts are usually coated with Teflon or some other friction reducing coating. These kinds of coating are usually not compatable with ceramic coating.

You cant coat the cylinder bore walls, as bores need to have a "honed" grain or texture to them to help rings break in and seal. The rings would also quickly scour any ceramic coatings away. You MIGHT be able to coat the quench area at the very top of the bore, where the piston rings never rub.

Rings do not get ceramic coated that I know of. The friction they create would quickly wear the coating off.

Rods and cranks are not ceramic coated that I know of. There's no advantage that I can think of in coating either part with ceramic.

I have heard of ceramic coating crank journal bearings for reduced friction, but not in street engines. The coatings don't last that long, and they alter bearing clearances, making proper fitment problemematic.

For more reading on ceramic coatings...

http://www.swaintech.com/
http://www.capsbhc.com/
http://www.performancecoatings.com/
http://www.microplasmic.com/