Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Replacing my engine

Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Replacing my engine

I'm going to be getting my engine delivered tomorrow and start fixing up the tib again!

I was wondering if anyone had some sort of a DIY, guide, or even general outline for this? I'm going to be doing it with a mechanic friend who runs a garage, but I'd really like to have some sort of an idea myself of WTF is going on before we start.

Also, when ordering the engine the guy at the yard asked me what the manufacture date was and said he had two types? car-part.com confirmed this also..

2.0L (4 cyl, VIN F, 8th digit), from 07/07/99

2.0L (4 cyl, VIN F, 8th digit), thru 07/06/99

As far as I understand, there's no difference. Can anyone explain this? My tib was a 97 rev A.. but when I bought it already had an engine swap from an 01 (or so the previous owner said). So which would I get? The latter one is what I'm planning on getting because it has way less miles, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

if i remember correctly it had to do w/ the crank diameter. you could look up some old findanza flywheel threads for the specifics but i believe the older ones had a 35mm crank and the newer had 41mm crank (don't quote me on that).

i would unplug the fuel pump harness give the engine a couple of cranks to depressurize the line. undo all liquid lines (fuel, coolant, slave cyl, discon ps pump from engine) then all harnesses and shift cables and axels, i'd bungee the ac compressor to firewall to avoid refilling that. remove the driver side trans mount via 4 bolts in wheel well. undo crossmember and discon the 2 roll stop mounts. discon pass side mount. and that is basicly it

look for a diy on changing the clutch-... that'll explain 1/2 of it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Support the engine from the bottom or it will fall when unbolted from the transaxle

crank snout dimension changes: https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ost__p__541075
Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I replaced my clutch/flywheel probably 4 years ago myself. No idea which one I bought though...and after reading the above link I have no idea which one mine is. Is there any way to tell what I've currently got aside from the manufacture date? Or should I just get the engine with the lower miles, and if I run into this problem go and get the spacers from a dealer? Still, it would be nice to know ahead of time.

I'd also like to use this as an opportunity to replace the super worn engine mounts. Any recommendations?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Recommend you fill the mounts yourself?