Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

removed my head this morning

Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon
Default removed my head this morning

Hey guys, I removed my head this morning and noticed a little bit on antifreeze in the number 4 cylinder with a little bit of sludge build up. Is this normal? It was sitting on top of the piston. I just wiped it out. I'm gonna go back out in the garage and check on it again in a little while.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i bet you its residual from the fact that you pulled the cylinder head off

the little bit of sludge is normal
Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (faithofadragon @ May 11 2010, 04:26 PM)
i bet you its residual from the fact that you pulled the cylinder head off

the little bit of sludge is normal

That's what I was thinking.. yeah the sludge wasn't to sure off.. cylinders 1,2 and 3 looked good and 4 had a little sludge build up. I'm kind of irratated because the shop told me it failed a compression test. Had none. But I never asked him what cylinders he checked, failure on my part. He gave me a quote of 5 or 6 grand to drop a brand new motor in.. I was like, uhh I'll take it back to my house and start tearing it down myself. Well, the engine will be out tomorrow.. I'm just going to run the head and engine block over to a shop and have them inspect them and clean up.. fix whatever doesn't look right.. than I'll know when I goto install that part of it should be good. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm laid off so I have plenty of time. lol
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Accent GS HB

sorry for kicking a dead horse but I think the sludge could be from where the pcv valve tubing into the intake manifold was depositing the oil blow by. I know in the accent the part on the mani was right above where the intake plenum is for cyl 4 so that may be the same w/ the beta. Not sure since I haven't looked at one in some time. Or the air rushing in could push that bit of oil to that area.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

One should always do their own compression test after a 'mechanic' says a cylinder has zero compression. LOL
Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sludge and zero compression could be from a bad ring pack, with oil blowing up into the cylinder from below mixing with gas from above. It must have very poorly.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

500 Internal Service Error pwns Fast Reply function

Double post FTL!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've seen engines that didn't even have any compression rings installed have more than zero compression. There'd have to be a hole all the way through the piston to show zero on a pressure gauge...or I guess a piston blow to pieces....which I have seen as well...lol