Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rebuilding An Engine, What To Change ?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 AM
AcN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My engine died on me after a huge oil leak last summer, and i finally got my second beta engine (got lucky the car came with an extra engine when i bought it ! smile.gif )
The engine has been sitting out of the engine bay, and indoor, for 4 to 5 years. After unmounting the valve cover, the camshafts still look super great and shiny (i'm gonna clean them by the way, old oil all over).

My question is : what gaskets would you change in an engine that has been sitting out and not running for that long ?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I would replace all of them with new gasket material.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

how many miles on motor? just remember anything you can do before putting it in is approimately 10 bazillion times easier than once the motor is in the car.

I'd say:
timing belt and both tensioners
valve cover gasket
head gasket
coolant housing
thermostat and gasket
pop off oil pan clean it out with brake cleaner and reseal
valve stem seal?
hla's?
rings?

on the other hand if this is a low mileage motor, maybe just the timing belt.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
AcN

Thanks for the answers smile.gif

Engine has 62.000Km (roughly 38750 miles smile.gif ). About the valve stem seal, i gotta get a valve spring compressor.... not easy to find one here 02.gif

This evening i just removed the camshafts (the exhaust cam was ]~#^{{~]#[^#{ stuck, but finally pulled it out with the help of the almighty Motul 300V - don't hit me, that was the only oil i had around... if i knew i would have bought some cheapo oil laugh.gif ), cleaned them, oiled them with the timing chain, removed the clutch+flywheel (that was a PITA)... Not much done yet >____<

Now i gotta buy a 12mm allen key to be able to pull off the cylinder head...
Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'd say head gasket might be a bit much on that young a motor. Definitely pull the oil pan for bottom end inspection and, as you have the cover off, replacing the valve cover gasket would be a good idea. Valve stem seals only if it burns oil because they leak. Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets if those were off.

Of course, if the head is off anyway then replace the head gasket with new! AND while you're in there cut some singh grooves.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 AM
AcN

Never heard of the Singh Grooves, but did some research, and eerrr... that's "just" cutting into the cylinder head block ? or is there something more subtle ? there's no wiki about it ^^
I'm kinda interested in it, so if you got more info to guide me into it, i take it laugh.gif the somender-singh website gives headaches, but read the most part still need the "how to do". I'm currently reading your topic on elantraxd.com about it.
Do we need to delay or advance the ignition or something like that ?

EDIT : how much improvement did you get with your gas mileage ? since i'm planning to make the car as economical as possible ? (that's why LPG is here laugh.gif)
Old 04-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I would've just put some oil in the cylinders and made sure it turned freely. Then drop it in.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^LOL that would have been too easy!

If I had $400 or so for machine work, valves, seals, and gaskets sometime in the past year I'd be able to give a firsthand report on the grooves. 02.gif There are several astonishing first-hand reports if you google it up, which was enough for me.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:12 AM
AcN

yeah i googled it, and read more and more articles (which took my whole time at work hahaha, but that's what i can do for an underpaid job in computers...).

I pulled off the head cylinder yesterday night (after a barbecue, 30 minutes of screams and laughs, and breaking a Facom Allen Key (!!!)), and gooooosh, the head gasket was cut in half on the thickness side !!!!!!!! the pistons are totally blackened, the valves are black, and there are some s**ts sticked on the head cylinder. Still need that dang spring compressor to pull out those sweet valves... I'll try the american method to borrow it from a garage laugh.gif

What would you do about the pistons rings ? (i can still clean the pistons laugh.gif) change them or ? because i'm kinda worried since the head gasket is soooo dead !
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

autozone can lend you a valve spring compressor. just pay to loan it, then return it & get your $ back if you don't already know

wow nevermind i just now saw you're in france