Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Random -- question and observation

Old 07-16-2001, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random -- question and observation

I have been following your posts about the Alpine kit very closely. You said you have problems at the start, but once it opens up the car runs great (if I'm wrong, please correct me). It almost sounds like your closed loop throttle/fuel maps are all fu&*ed up but once the car reaches WOT it switches to the open loop and runs fine.

Granted this is based on sparse data, so I could be way off base here. Just a suggestion, though. I wonder if it's the unichip or stock ECU problems (or something simple like a TPS signal problem).

My question has to do with Unichip: did you hear from them? Can the Alpine "packaged" chip be programmed like any other Unichip. There are several programmers/tuners for that chip around here, so I'm fairly happy about that. I may go with the kit still.

Thanks in advance and good luck with the wiring.

A
Old 07-16-2001, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

There are other problems at WOT, it's just that the main problems are at lower throttle settings.

The Unichip will work with the alpine kit with a 5th injector, or with 4 larger injectors. The new UniChip is 32 bit, it can control Variable valve timing (not that we can use that part), and a host of other things.

Right now, we think the problem is a bad ground wire somewhere. John Conchie is going to fax me a complete wiring diagram, and I'm going to attack the thing from stem to stern to find where the fault/error is.

I'm supposted to get the diagram Tuesday morning, so I will try to attack the wiring tuesday/wednesday night.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:35 AM

Okay, I misunderstood then. I thought the Alpine kit came with a unichip (or semi-proprietary variant) that Alpine had pre-tuned. I guess Alpine just uses their own chip/circuit board for fuel/timing control purposes.

For reference, I got this notion from the "Change in Plans" thread by 2UNIQ over on FXtreme.

Good luck with this. I know those grounds can be a bitch (my alarm siren didn't work at first until I found a better ground point for it).

a

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Curtas ]
Old 07-16-2001, 02:48 AM

Sorry, the aforementioned post was from QUINT, not 2UNIQ. Almost the same letters smile.gif

a
Old 07-16-2001, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

NO, the Alpine kit NOW comes with the unichip. Alpine says they have had much success with this kit in South Africa.

There just seems to be a wiring fault in mine causing the problems.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:53 AM

My bad again. Kit comes with Unichip, so if we upgrade the fuel system/ ditch the 5th injector, a facility can reprogram the chip for us? This is good news indeed. Makes the kit much more upgradable.

Thanks for the info,
A
Old 07-16-2001, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

the 5th injector doesn't cost much, maybe $50 or $75, so it won't affect the cost of the kit, but 4 440 CC injectors will run you about $350.

The Unichip should be able to be tuned to run 4 larger injectors rather than 5.