Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Radiator Manual/auto

Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i've been leaking coolant occasionally from the right side of the radiator somewhere. there is this nipple on my radiator on the left side and it's not connected to anything. it appears when i had my transmission swap done, the radiator wasn't swapped out either. the hole might have just been plugged up. so now i find out there are 2 kinds of radiators one for auto and another for manual.

leads me to noob questions.

1. how does the coolant go through the auto transmission?

2. does coolant go through manual transmission?

I need to order a radiator and a new cap. should i order the radiator new for $291 or go to the junky yard and get a used one from salvage? or a koyo--where to get one?
Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

first, there should be two nipples. IF so you can just run a hose from one to the other or plug them both

second, it doesn't matter whether you use the auto or manual as they are both the same except the nipples which do not have to be used. If you had an auto tranny then those nipples would hook up to it's cooler. I have a radiator for an auto on my 5 speed and it is fine.

third, if you do have to get a new radiator I would get one of the half size aluminum ones from the honda civics that some people here have used...like java

Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 PM

cool, yeah there are only autos at the salvage, but i could probably get a whole radiator for like $50.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...amp;hl=radiator
that's crazy!! how can that small thing do its job on a 500hp tiburon without problems??! never noticed that thread.

you think a radiator from an evolution will be ok?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 AM

Vehicle: 2000

If you want to go with a full size aluminum just get the koyo. That way you know it will fit without any issues. I have one with flex-a-lite fans and love it. i dont remember were i ordered it from but just look around and you will find it.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23 AM

^$165 price difference between the evo and the koyo. the inlets are 4mm apart, dimensions are the same, and core dimensions are the same. only thing left is the cap. i hope it's ok, and it doesn't have anything to do with a turbo. hmmm....

i have FAL's too! great fans.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 AM

Vehicle: 2000

The mounting brackets look to be spaced wider on the evo radiator. small problem and easy to fix but still one issue to address.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:07 AM

If your saying you could get the all aluminum evo for about $150 I would try it. If it works out then it would give the community another great option. The hoses should all hook up pretty easily with no modification with the exception of the overflow which would be an easy and cheap replacement of 3/8" rubber hose. The other issue would be the mounts on the bottom. Ares just slide in place and I am not sure how the aluminum one would mount. You could easily fix that too I would think.

Still the civic rad is cheaper but if you want to save money I would save your radiator. I have bought a brand new radiator because my a/c fan shroud was loose and the fan was moving back and forth until it started denting the rad and eventually the center bolt in the fan busted a hole in the rad. I replaced the rad with a the brand new one and fixd the shroud and fan to not move. One day it broke loose and put an even bigger hole in the radiator so I had to buy a new onw or try to use the old one since I ghetto fixed it.

I dropped an egg into the old one once it was installed. That was a year ago and no leaks or problems since and I live in hot ass FL.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Agreed on the FAL's. Fans are on less for cooling actually drawing less power because they cool faster! Very nice...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you want to pay shipping, you can have the radiator from my parts car cheap.

http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31564

If it's dripping from one of the 2 nipples on the bottom, those are for the auto trans coolant and that oil cooler should be separate from the water cooling part... Internal leaks in a radiator? That makes me think the metal is getting thin, and eventually you'll have a leak through one of the exterior walls... Murphy says he wants it to happen on a road trip.

For a short-term band-aid, put a section of hose from one nipple to the other, then the auto trans oil cooler will fill up with radiator fluid and you'll have time to get whatever you want for a replacement.

What, no edit button for me?

NEways I forgot to say, check by the drain cock, and have a look at the plastic cap(s) to see if something got broken by road debris or (maybe) you or another mechanic, when you were working in there.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:32 PM

^ stocker, you have a buyer!! you are great. it is a single row, but i don't think it really makes that much of a difference. i will PM you.

believe it or not both cars have radiator leaks. i forgot to mention that part. both radiators are relatively new, about 3 years old with about 20,000mi! it's coming out from the right side, ironically same place on both cars.

i've been filling it up with coolant about once a month, so the leak isn't horrible, but it does leave the reservoir nearly empty. i will check the caps although it seems to be coming from somewhere inside.

capn tibs, that's crazy, i've never heard of our fans doing that but i guess that would tear into the radiator. sounds like my aem hitting battery terminal story!! and yeah you are right about the mounts. i've got that thought out, and will simply extend the overfill hose.

it does get hot in florida! i'm thinking of trying that as well, although i want a peace of mind. it is a good easy cheap solution though.