Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Radiator fan... which way does it blow???

Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan... which way does it blow???

I should probably know this already, but I don't.
I was thinking that if the fan draws are in through the rad, then I could put a big scoop behind it and pressurize my stock air filter box. On second thought, That'll only work when the fan is operating. So when does the fan kick in? I am really clueless, aren't I.
Lets just assume that the fan always is on, and it blows are into the engine bay, could I not use that air flow to pressurize the air filter box?
Old 08-28-2002, 12:32 AM

Neet idea but equally as bad,
1- the benefit of the moving air will be offset by the fact that the air is extremly HOT!! Don't do it. Just set up a ram air style scoop for cold air.
2- It will not be pressurized. Just moving
3- Rad fan kicks in at I think 150deg. correct me if I'm wrong, they are different for every motor.

Later
Old 08-28-2002, 08:06 AM
Red

Radiator fan kicks in (stock) at around 195 degrees -- ie it turns on right after the stock thermostat opens up. Since the thermostat opens at 190, then the fans usually kick on right after...

The fans are a pull-through setup, so yes air is sucked through the radiator and expelled over the exhaust manifold. And as it was said before, don't use that for a source of intake.

I have been stupidly running a little "short ram" intake temporarily while focusing on other issues with my buildup. My short-ram intake consists of just a single elbow off the throttlebody that ends about where the stock MAF sensor would have plugged in -- I've got a fat K&N filter there.

The Haltech regularly sees intake temperatures above 140F at HIGHWAY speed, and temperatures over 155F in city traffic or when stopped. eek!

You don't want hot air, trust me. My ignition timing maps back off as much as 5 degrees for temperatures that high, and I have the luxury of programming them to the upper limit of what the motor will take...
Old 08-28-2002, 01:47 PM

Thanks guys, now I know.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Pony

My Tempo pushed the air... negating it's effectiveness on the highway (Ever try replacing a thermostat on a tempo?)