Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Rad Leak

Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the best way to stop a radiator leak? i used bars stop leak and it solved the problem for now...i drove 200 miles yesterday for a car show and didn't leak a drop. the stuff says that it will work for a year but i really want to drain all the fluid out and fix it the right way. i have a pin size hole in my radiator and i need to plug it up somehow so that it doesn't leak because i can't keep using the temporary fix. what's the best stuff to use to plug a hole so that it won't leak again? anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

best way to stop the radiator from leakin?

buying a new one

89.95 plus shipping ------click here
Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM

i really didn't want to buy a new one.i know there is something out there that can be used to plug the hole, i just don't know what....
Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM

You can take it to a radiator shop and see if they will give you an estimate on fixing it. If it's too expensive, just buy a new one. I have used those stop leaks before and they've worked for me (in another car though), but I've heard they can be bad to use and don't always work.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

anytime i have used a "stop leak" product in a car, I have had bad luck. I have a (currently)non-running Eclipse that I used it in. It stopped the first leak and then I had a second leak, then the thermostat went, and then I split both the upper and lower radiator hoses. Just get a new one and save yourself the hassle smile.gif
Old 05-16-2005, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

as Cyber said go to radiator shop, they can weld hole in aluminium.
I also heard that stop leaks not always help and sometimes cause some problems - blocking cooland passages in engine.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I dunno how long it will work but the Myth Busters proved that an egg in the rad will stop a leaking rad. For how long I dunno but hell, eggs come in 12's right wink1.gif

LOL I dunno, I have heard of products but they never work. Just get a new rad. It would be way less of a pain.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 PM

on a small leak.. loose pepper (not ground) works well too.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yo i'm having the same exact problem!!! my radiator dumped half of my fluid on to my best friends apartment sidewalk. it was embarassing. it's brand new too... it's the second time this has happened.

my friend, a mechanic, said that you can drop egg yolk into your radiator fluid container and eventually it will suck it up and clog the leak. he's a great mechanic and said it seals the smallest radiator leaks. the big ones are the ones we should worry about.