Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quit Overheating!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Well obvioulsy my tib is overheating and yes I did search and didnt find problems that were similar to mine. But to start out, my original radiator was shot so I bought a used one and installed and also used some slim fans and made them push style. (mounted to a/c condenser, I know its dumb) But the the fans wouldnt kick on until like 3/4 up on the temp gauge. And both fans were wired to run at the same time. Well the fans would kick on and the car would cool back down. But still I didnt like this very well. So one day I decided the air wasnt flowing enough through the condeneser so I took the slim fans and made them pull style and ziptied them to the radiator. This honestly didnt change anything and the car kept gettin warm and wouldnt kick the fans on until about 3/4 the way up the gauge. And this caused the zipties to break and ultimately I lost a fan. Jus simply fell off the car. lmao.

After that I was a lil pissed so I slapped a stock fan on and took the other slim fan off. Now mind you its jus the primary oem fan. Also I had the thermostat and the temp sending unit both changed. Well after that was done I let the car "burp" and now the fan turns on when its supposed to but the temp will still continue to rise. Clear up to the red zone, I know its super bad. So Im kinda lost as what to do. The only things I can think of is that this radiator is shot as well, the fins look horrible, or my water pump is going out. But the car will not overheat if its in motion, jus at stand stills. This makes me think its the radiator taking a dump on me.... again. What are your thoughts guys/gals?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Doubtful the waterpump is taking a crap on you unless you physically pull it off to check it. How bad is the radiator? Also, the amount of cubic air the fans move is massive, stock fans move quite a bit of air, putting one on the side of the condensor won't help much. I'm betting you have a faulty radiator. Have you lost any coolant from it? I would pull the radiator, submerge it into a tub of water, and check for leaks.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM

As far as I know Im not losing any antifreeze. I jus think the fins on the radiator are jus all messed up and letting it get cooled off like it should be. Im thinking bout either honda half core radiator as a replacement or doesnt koyo make one for our cars? Jus trying to get options running around here. Thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You checked thermostat? Coolant temp sensor? Radiator cap? Timing?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Ive changed the thermostat and coolant temp sensor. The rad cap is on nice and tight. Not sure bout the timing issue tho. This started happening after I installed the radiator so my guess is that its the radiator. Doesnt koyo make an aftermarket one for the tibs?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Koyo does make a GK aluminum radiator that is a direct swap in. I have a Honda half-core radiator on my RD now and have no issues.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Not that it's your problem, but a tight rad. cap and a working cap aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Well I think I figured out the problem. I was driving the tib yesterday and it was on the verge of overheating so I pulled over into a parking lot. I let it cool down a bit and then added some more antifreeze and let the car burp some more. It seemed to do the trick. I also put the other radiator fan on for shits and giggles jus to be safe. But the thing that gets me is, if the car was low on coolant, how come it wasnt taking any from the overflow tank? Maybe the hose to the tank and the rad has too much slack in it, but idk. Not unless I have a blown headgasket and burning coolant. Woohoo, guess Im off to a compression check. I had a honda half core at one point in time but I traded it off for some turbo supplies so yeah, maybe I'll jus go that route again. Thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If there's air in the lines it won't cool properly. Not that it's low, just it's not filled right.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Soo... I think I solved my overheating problem. I tried all that I could think of and then jus ran out of ideas. So I went to the junkyard and pulled a radiator from a beta 2 elantra and swapped it in. It fits pretty well and not much to mod, jus the top hose. You need to use the beta 2 hose. And the primary fan sensor works with the tibs primary fan sensor. woot. But the secondary fan you'll need to splice the sensor to work. But overall, my problem has been solved. Now watch my car overheat tonight since I just said that. Grr.