Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quick Tips On 97 1.8l To 2.0l Engine

Old 02-12-2006, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Quick breakdown on whats going on 03 Tib stolen a week ago so now looking forward to get mobile again. Not much I can do about the car being gone so gonna try working on my 97 1.8L Tib. Right now the car has been sitting in the drive for 2 1/2 yrs just on occasion was it moved. It has a blown engine and probably hasn't been started or moved in about a year. I was looking to change out a 1.8L to a 2.0L engine and was looking for some input and tips on what to do. From basic stuff to the more elaborate any input would be great. Will be getting the Engine and ECU in about a week and a half. So is there anything else I should get??

Thanks in advance for the look and input.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:33 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

sorry about your stolen car!

1.8 ECU should work with 2.0. Some guys even swap them from 2.0 to 1.8.

it should be direct swap.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Yea, I'm surprised you havent had that poor Tib running sooner. 02.gif

$300 for a motor, and the cost of the fluids, will get that thing running in a days work.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:34 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

The 1.8 intak cam is better so put in your new engine as well, unless you want bigger cams.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info on the cam change, I'll get that one done. Biggest crap shoot I'm at right now is getting outside to yank all my old stuff off the old engine. It's always rainin or snowin around here, in IL. Probably have all the work done if I was still in TX.

What do you think would be best for going with the fluid change out.

This is what I have for right now, not bought yet just thinking.

Spark P Wire : Prdonline.com

Spark Plugs : NGK Iridium

Engine Cleaner : B12 Chemtool

Oil Change : Mobil Pure Synthetic Blend 10W30

Tranny Flush : Royal Purple or Redline 75W90

Fuel Filter : ????

Oil Filter : K&N

Battery : Optima

Tires : ????? on 17in Rims

Coolant Flush and fill : Basic stuff w/ water wetter additive

Timing Belt : Probably should change it now while I'm at it??
I have some OBX underdrive pulleys, that have been sitting here.

Anymore additional info and input would be appreciated.

Oh and one stated above about suprised hadn't gotten it running sooner, I would of but it blew on my way back to base right before I went to Iraq and I was there for 2yrs. Was going to get it running this summer or sooner but this weathers crap and no garage. Don't have many connections in IL because wasn't into the whole tuning scene till I got out to TX. All my connects are out in TX but many many miles in between us now. Trying to look for connections here but the import scene in IL is bad in the burbs. The ones I heard about are mainly just about go and no show, which is understandable considering the weather and salt trucks that ruin cars. Thanks all.

H. Riddick
Old 02-12-2006, 05:50 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Full Belt replacement and water pump, tensioner pulley replacement would be a good idea. And VERY EASY to do with an engine out of a car...

Tires... 205/40/17 on 17" rims...

And I don't know what year you have, but if it's a 1997 revA 1.8L you are working on.. I'd suggest searching these forums about the problems many owners have with their EVAP cannister location. If you are going to be doing a full 2.0L motor swap, I'd suggest swapping the EVAP location to the RD2 stock location (near the back wheel well, sorta behind a quarter panel). Chris, Blacktibs, has done this. Many other revA owners just move it to the engine bay or remove it and loop all the fuel/air hoses. (
Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the new info, I was reading throught the DIY stuff for hours last night. Just gave me goose bumps reading about all the stuff. Before when I was working all hardcore on the car there wasn't anything like the DIY post. Great to see people sharing their knowledge. I got my 97 in 2000 and was always working on something performance, maintanence, show was always dabbling in somethin. Guess its cool I see this stuff now since mostly everything will be a breeze with the engine already pulled out of the car.

Question, would there be anything good gained from not hooking up the A/C, I really don't have a use for it. Even living in TX, I usually rolled with the windows down. Heat is a must especially living in IL, did the whole no heat thing in the car for almost a year one time. All because I was messing with stuff under the dash and forgot to hook up the metal clip for the heater dial. I think one of my stupidest things ever done working on the car, next to the hood flying off.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

Sorry to hear that your tib got stolen. Bastards!!

For tires, go with 215's man, noticeably better!
Old 02-14-2006, 05:36 AM

Tires looking for speed tires, I will have two rim and tire sets to work with. One for speed and one for the really cruddy weather.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Removing the AC will gain you a few things.

1. Some lost HP back from not having to drive the AC pulley.
2. Some cash in your pocket for selling a AC setup on RDtiburon.com
3. Some lost weight from sweating your ass off in the IL heat.

cool.gif