Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Quick Tips On 97 1.8l To 2.0l Engine

Old 02-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 97 will be a 1.8 Rev A and the ECU may not be the best bet. Had the same setup and did the 2.0 swap. It ran good but was way too rich and would throw CELs due to mixture. Ended up putting in a 2.0 ECU to clear the trouble. If you can get your hands on a later model 1.8 ECU, you will get both the better performance and not have to worry about the CELs.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon RD1

Ok now I really hate to go back on what I was trying to do but the 2.0L thats in my area that I can find turned out to be a load of you know. Now they have a 1.8L with low miles I think around 60,000. Can pick it up in a few days if I want or just wait for a 2.0L. I don't have to pay for either engine cause its a thank you from them to me for service to the country. What do you think just pick up the 1.8L and get mobile right now? OR, Wait for a 2.0L and have to keep checking around in surrounding junkyards? If I do go with the 1.8L then I will still pick up a 2.0L probably later sometime this spring and then just built up the engine, ground up. On the subject what is really the benifit for putting a 2.0L engine in, I figured it will give me a few extra horses but any additional benifits from the swap or is it just fine to stick with the 1.8L and not worry about a minor increase in horses. Just a thought.

Oh and Redz IL hot weather, hope you were sarcastic cause been living in Iraq and TX for the past 5 years, not to worried about the heat.....haha.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

LOL I was mang.

Dude, ebay is your friend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-0-HYUNDAI...037707174QQrdZ1

That one has 45K miles on it, and it's a Beta 2, and that's WITH a tranny. See if he'll sell it seperately.

If you go to ebay, you can find lots of 2.0 engines, for a good price. Just do a search for Tiburon Engine or Elantra engine. Stay away from the beta 2.5 CVVT's in the 2004 and up tiburons/elantras though.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:05 PM

I emailed the guy and been checking ebay often, right now they have been having tons of engines up for bids. I've been looking though. I let a few slip because a friends buying the engine and he was trying to go through a local J-yard. So will that Beta 2 be a drop in or will there be extras needed. Thanks redz for all the input. Just trying to do whats best getting the car running now, I hate to half arse things. Been messing with electronics, and apperances things most of the time I've been working on cars so when it comes to engine drops and internal tweeking I'm a little slow on the subject.

Later in the day,------

Talk to the guy redz and he likes a resturant out by me so I wouldn't even have to drive much. Guess the price he is giving me is pretty good considering I don't have to do much to get it. Just need to know about the engine dropping in. Any fabrication, or will everything hook up??

Much later at night ------

I searched more on the site and what I was getting was there is a lot of changing out the minor things from the Beta 1 engine to the Beta 2 engine. My concerns are my block on the old Beta 1 engine it is shot and has a hole in it right behind where the headers are about the middle drivers side of the engine. Don't know how it blew a hole but maybe a rod, it made a chainsaw dirt bike rev sound when it happened, still was able to drive it a few miles before the oil completely dumped out.

--I got that you can switch out the beta 2 head to the beta 1 and vice versa.

--Change out fuel rail and injectors beta 1 to beta 2

--Change out Intake manifold and throttle body beta 1 to beta 2

--Maybe I read something wrong but I thought I read this engines not the best if looking to go for a supercharger or turbo, which I might do later on. Not looking to do it anytime recent though.

Questions that really didn't feel I got a straight comfortable answer to while searching.

All my sensors and wiring will it just fit up right onto the beta 2?

Will my Unortho pulleys, sharkracing 4-2-1 headers, bolt up to the block on the beta 2?

Will the 1.8L intake camshaft bolt up into the beta 2's?

What kind of questions would you be asking this guy off ebay if you were in my shoes?

If you were in my position why would you do this change?

From what I've read it doesn't look to hard and while I'm changing things out already, if its the better engine and a good time to do it considering what I'm looking at doing then I will most likely do this. Just a few bits of info needed so I can make up my mind.

Guess thats what comes to mind at the moment, sure I will have more for you later. Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 09:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I don't have time to read that whole thing right now, but here are some answers.

The beta 2 is a direct replacement, the cams, everything, you can swap just like the beta 1. It's the Beta 2.5 (CVVT) that is different. The beta 2 and 1 are almost identical, and all your parts should swap just fine. The only ones that might not are the pulleys other than the crank pulley.

The beta 2 has some different sensors, so you just swap them for the sensors you currently have, and whammo, you are running. Get that motor mang.

The person to talk to about this is Jaws021.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:26 PM

Yeah quite a bit to read sometimes when I get going the questions just keep poppin, I'll pm Jaws and ask him to take a look at the post. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:53 AM

Ok i skimmed through the post..

First of all... your 97.. is it just going to be a daily driver?

If so.. just get the 1.8 free bee engine and swap it in. Save yourself the trouble. If your planing on building a block, pick up a 2.0L later and take your time to build it up.

Get your car running first.

The old block..
Sell the 1.8 cam.. some guys will pay 50-100 bux for it. Use that cash for the 2.0L project engine fund or to buy fluids for the swap.
The 1.8 crank.. check to see if its good. If it is.. someone will buy it or keep it around. Once you learn more about the beta engine, youll learn that the 1.8 crank is an overlooked monster.
Check the head.. if its good,... sell it to someone who wants a spare one to bore out (i know some people here would buy it).

You could potentially make around 200-250 bux from your old engine, which could cover some of the cost for the new one.

second... PLEASE TAKE A PIC OF YOUR OLD BLOCK.
I wanna see how in the world a rob busted through the iron block, just for shits and giggles and to put a nice owned.gif sign on the top.

Thirdly... the beta II swap.

There are many combos that you can do with this engine. If you are recieving the FULL engine with manifold, tb, alternator, ac,..ect.

Sell all the extra shit.
Well.. If you have a strong sound system, keep the alternator in case yours goes south. Hyundai alternators arent THAT great... so keep one handy.
Keep in mind your beta I alternator is 90amps and the beta II is 80 or 85, cant remember.
That will get you more cash for the project.

Power steering...
Beta I and beta IIs use different belts. If you plan on sticking to your current power steering pump (dont wanna mess with it) you will have to switch the inner water pump pulley on the beta II engine with the one from your beta I.

Intake manifold.. BEta II manifolds look nice, but you wont be able to use it comfortably.. sell it on newtib along with the TB (beta II manifolds have the Idle air bypass sensor built in).
Im not sure if the beta II IAB sensor will be compatible with the beta I ecu. I never tried it, although i believe its also within the same voltage range, and the harness looks the same...
So feel free to be curious.

Switch the cam sensor and crank sensor, although i dont think it will be necessary.

Water thermostat housing...
It must be switched. You will notice that the beta II housing has only one sensor in it. Hyundai got smart with the new engines and combined the two water temp sensors that we have in the beta I.

If you decide to play with mixing and matching heads...
Keep in mind the oil pressure regulator in the beta II is in the head. On your beta I its in the block. The beta II requires higher oil pressure due to it having shims, and the beta I has HLAs which dont require nor like high oil pressure.

AC...
Im like you... i never use my AC. I keep it handy though. But if you dont need it and dont want it... feel free to remove it. Be careful disconnecting the pressure hoses.
Like redz said it will free up some of the lost power and free up some weight.

ok thats all i can think of.. im hella tired, had a long day at work.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Ill pay attention to this thread from now on.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:34 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Are injectors on BETA1 and BETA2 swappable?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:39 AM

Thats great, I will be going to local J-yard this sat to look around to see what they got as of right now I know they have a 1.8L and will give it to me for probably a hundred or two. Its a lot of work sorta going into switching to a 2.0L Beta 2. It will be a daily driver and I'm probably going to go back to Iraq as a civilian contracter. Most likely come back with anywhere between 80 to 100 grand. When I return I will probably pick up another GK tib, see if anything changes in 2007/2008ish for the newer tibs. If so maybe I'll then again pick up another have it paid off, get a hardcore alarm, and a garage to stick it in, since some one out here seems to really like what I do to my cars. Enough to steal one, if I only found out who did it. I won't end up forgetting about my 97 tib but will probably gut a lot of it, lighten it up as much as possible, build up a strong engine and try to throw it on a track. I don't like hitting up the quarter mile, just not my taste I like turns and sliding and such. Long, if you happen to read this I had many crazy races on rancier street. As of right now thats what I'm thinking, I might change my mind but for now its probably best to throw a beta 1 1.8L or 2.0L in and just get it on the road again. Car has been really missed and it always felt like a go cart when driving compared to my old GK. I'll skim through the post again and see if there is anything that wasn't touched on thats still relevant. You answered a lot and is greatly appreciated. I'll be in touch and I'll get the pic's once the engines pulled. I'll sell quite a bit of parts, I have so much just sitting here. Eventually I will get around to cleaning house but as of right now its like 10 degrees outside and I hate the cold.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:21 AM

beta I and beta II have different sized injectors.

Considering what your going to go through in the future... go with the 1.8L man.

Save yourself the hassle. Get the car running first. Who knows, when you come back you might buy another car and want to dump money on that instead.