Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   Pulley (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/pulley-28754/)

Dmitry 05-16-2005 02:56 PM

I talked to one guy today, he said that it's not a problem to make a pulley (he works on a factory).

He said that it's possible to do it from titanium. I don't know price but he said it should not be more than $50.

What do you think?

Jaws021 05-16-2005 03:01 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dmitry @ May 16 2005, 01:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I talked to one guy today, he said that it's not a problem to make a pulley (he works on a factory).

He said that it's possible to do it from titanium. I don't know price but he said it should not be more than $50.

What do you think?
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
find out the weight difference..
or just have one done.. for less than 50 bucks, you cant argue with that..

Dmitry 05-16-2005 03:07 PM

If anybody can do a drawing with dimensions, it would help a lot.

what material are stock pulleys made from?

OdessitPashka 05-16-2005 03:09 PM

stock are made out of steel. Let us know how it goes Dima.

Dmitry 05-16-2005 03:18 PM

density of materials:
titanium 4.505 g/cm^3
steel is 7.7-7.9 g/cm^3

and with titanium I can probably make pulley with diferent shape (with bigger holes) - so less material.

Alex01tib 05-16-2005 03:20 PM

yah if it was structuraly sound light and strong then it would be good, if u want i could send u my stock crank pulley so he could get it done right. then have him make some and sell them for like 100 bucks or something

CyberShark 05-16-2005 03:32 PM

Titanium should be lighter then steel and much stronger. $50 is not bad at all. My wife paid a few hundred to get my titanium wedding band that weighs only a few ounces!! Then again, titanium is abundant where you're at. Did you know the U.S. got the Titanium it needed to make the SR71 Blackbirds from Russia back in the Cold War? Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Dmitry 05-16-2005 03:33 PM

which one is crank pulley? does it carries timing belt or another belts?

I don't know how much will be shipping pulley here :huh:

maybe you can make a drawing with dimensions and pics?

Cyber, I didn't know. It's interesting point.

Mad-Machine 05-16-2005 04:29 PM

titanium might be light and strong, but it is also slightly on the flexible side.

Alex01tib 05-16-2005 04:40 PM

the crank pulley suplies power to your alternator and your a/c and your power steering and such, it has two belts on it, u can find pics of it in My diy to install the obx crank pulley... My DIY

i guess i could get you the dimensions but i would think they would want to make the measurements themselves so u dont get them done and realize i was off by .05 inches

CyberShark 05-16-2005 05:21 PM

Get your friend to polish the titanium Dmitry. I know you wouldn't be able to see the pully when installed, but polished titanium looks very very nice!!

silvertibbs 05-16-2005 07:00 PM

Maybe someone in Europe has a stock Crank pulley hanging around they might like to donate.

REDZMAN 05-16-2005 11:42 PM

Well, why don't we find someone in the US that has some spare OEM pulleys and we chip in for S/H to the Ukraine?

Dimitri, I am DEFINATELY in for some titanium pulleys.

Dmitry 05-17-2005 03:35 AM

What to do think, what size is better - stock one or smaller, like OBX?

Smaller size - easier to spin but lower RPM for A/C, alternator, power steering, water pump, new belts.

Also need your oppinions about material, what about some plastic? It would be much lighter. I think there are some kind of plastic that is used in gearing wheels (not small one, but probably with not big torque).
Torque on puleys (belts) shouldn't be big

I'll see what I can do here.
Need to talk with him again.

Mad_john 05-17-2005 04:25 AM

I am DEFINATELY in for some titanium pulleys smile.gif keep us posted

CyberShark 05-17-2005 07:08 AM

I think a smaller size would definatley be good Dmitry. Would your friend be able to make a pully set (water pump pully, powersteering, crank)?

REDZMAN 05-17-2005 08:11 AM

No plastic, too many possible problems my man.

A full set, underdriven, titanium.

OdessitPashka 05-17-2005 08:15 AM

Plastic could melt.

Who has a set of pulleys, so we can send them to Kiev?

Mad-Machine 05-17-2005 10:09 AM

not only can plastic melt.. but those rare cars with plastic gears (ahem, fiats) used Phenolic.. and they tend to wear VERY fast..especially when used as the cam gears for your timing belt.

Grottenolm 05-17-2005 12:13 PM

I can problably send a full set of stock rd1 puleys to him...

REDZMAN 05-17-2005 12:25 PM

That would rule man. Can you PM him about it?

THen we'd just need some RD2 pulleys.

Mad-Machine 05-17-2005 12:29 PM

That would be great Grotten. While I do not need the crank, I would not mind the other pulleys

djshaggy 05-17-2005 12:43 PM

If anyone sent me RD2 pulleys I could have them professionally drawn in CAD for Dmitry (dimensions and a 3D dipiction)

Dmitry 05-21-2005 12:48 AM

Not very good news for now.

That guy, who should make pulleys now is in hospital (cleaning his organism). Should be out in 2-3 weeks. 02.gif

I think if it would be possible to make, there would be not a big difference between making them CAD drawing or real pulleys. But I will try to contact with him in these days and ask what will be better.

Another question.
What material Aluminium or Titanium?
Al is lighter then Ti.
Al will be cheaper and easier to find and easier to work with.
But Titanium is stronger.
I like more idea with titanium (again I'll talk with him about options).

I'll keep you updated.

CyberShark 05-21-2005 07:28 AM

Aluminum would be lighter, but owning a set of Titanium pullys would be cool for bragging rights. wink1.gif

REDZMAN 05-21-2005 09:34 AM

Titanium is 47% lighter than Steel, but 67% heavier than aluminum. It is 20 times stronger than Steel, and 50 times stronger than aluminum. (I love my new classes in college). Titanium does not flex, at all, and has very good machinability, aluminum flexes and is not AS good for machining, but also won't wear the equipment as much.

While I would LOVE to have titanium, I think we need to slow down and look at the deal here. We are doing this for lightweight pulleys, so Aluminum is the way we should go. We don't need them to live thru a nuculear holocaust.

Ericy321 05-21-2005 08:34 PM

Very true. Just a quick question though: Do smaller pulleys reduce efficiency of alternator? Like if I am running two batteries off my stock alternator would underdrive pulleys be bad?

Mad-Machine 05-22-2005 12:35 AM

If you spend a lot of time at idle playing your system, I would not suggest these pulleys. It all depends on what you do with the car and what your electrical loads are. I am actually working to REDUCE the load on my battery. All in the name of efficency.

Mr_Hyde_NT 05-22-2005 03:42 AM

mmm rolleyes.gif this thead is really interesting..

i think this is the first time ever i heard about TITANIUM pulleys. I asked to few around here but i found only:
1) like oem replacement (some kind of steel)
2) aluminium or Ergal ones (Ergal used more for racing, because a little more light/strong than alu)
3) Bakelite ( :blink: only for special applications, becase those are lighter than titanium)

now that i'm close to the first change of my belts, and i was guessing about a new pulley... or better: a complete set...

Because here titanium is too much expensive, we generally use it only for racing bikes/cars exhaust or similar, because titanium is very strong even if exposed to direct flames... very hard to flex or to crak.. and last forever...
it' would be nice to find a set of pulleys (3 at all, isn't it?) in titanium, polished if possible and.. imho it would be better the same oem size to avoid looking for different belts and go ahead with hyundai specs..

sincerely, i'm a little scared about the final price if titanium will be used :huh:
but i'm curious to see what it will happen B)

REDZMAN 05-22-2005 09:06 AM

Considering Dimitry is in the Ukraine and the largest deposits of Titanium in the world are from there (We got the titanium we used to build the SR 71's to spy on the Soviets FROM the Soviet Union, funny eh?), Titanium is much cheaper there than in the US.

For comparison. A cheap set of Turqoise earrings here in New Mexico cost about 8 to 10 dollars. The EXACT SAME EARRINGS in Korea cost about $95. Turquoise isn't found there.

As for your suggestions.

1. No, we are getting away from steel for a reason, weight.
2. Aluminum is what most others are made out of, for the light weight reason. That's why I still think we should go with them, they are lighter than Titanium and plenty strong.
3. No, we discussed plastic pulleys earlier, bakelite or whatever else, plastic will NOT do.

Dmitry 06-10-2005 05:40 PM

Bad news for now. That guy has some problems with health (kidneys) and he will not work for the factory any more.

I have some thoughts about other ways to do them, so I'm looking, searching... etc.

I'll keep you updated.

Dmitry 06-14-2005 09:04 AM

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!! smile.gif B)

Found a place where I can do pulleys.
They can do any pulley that you want in any size.
All that I need is good drawing. (they can also do a drawing from a sample, but I don't have samples, so drawings are preferable).

Now I can tell you only approximate prices (for material + work) - for Titanium (for now I'm looking where to buy material) crank pulley it's about $80-110. Alluminium should be about $20 cheaper.

faithofadragon 06-14-2005 09:18 AM

screw aluminum

ill take a titanium

where do i sign up

JonGTR 06-14-2005 10:03 AM

I'm in, but I want the accessory pulley's also.

Dmitry 06-14-2005 11:18 AM

no problem with accesory pulleys.
all I need is drawings.

Dmitry 06-15-2005 02:10 AM

little double post!
--

what pullies are the same in RD1 and RD2?

Can anybody do a drawing?

I will be able to do a set of pulleys or single pulley (any you like).

Grottenolm 06-15-2005 07:59 AM

If it helps I can send you full set of stock RD1 pulleys...

Are you going for just lighweigt or lightweight underdrive crank pulleys?

Depending on price I would be in for full RD2 pulleys with additional RD1 crank pulley (well maybe a full set, too)...

Dmitry 06-15-2005 08:07 AM

in both ways they will be lightweight.

I can do crank pulley stock size or underdrive size, it dosn't matter.

Full set will help. I have guys who can make a drawings here, but I dunno is it worth to ship pulley here...

JonGTR 06-15-2005 08:49 AM

I can make autocad drawings but its not like i have a micrometer to measure them with. They'd be close, but not exact.
Also, I'm just a novice to 3d modeling. I can make basic shapes, but if there's a complex curve, I wouldn't be able to immitate it. Nor threadings. As far as I know, they're just circles though.

Dmitry 06-15-2005 09:18 AM

Found a guy here (in Ukraine) who will do the drawings.

Need free set of pulleys.