Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Problems After Spark Plug Swap

Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I changed out my spark plugs today and now my car is not starting up. It cranks then puts out this high pitch squeel and dies. I followed a DIY that i got off newtiburon.com. I am kinda new at the whole engine work thing so any help would be great.

A little more info about my car. I have an 07 tiburon SE V6. I used NGK plugs with a .44 gap. I also changed out the the wires. I got the wires off ebay. In order to get to the rear plugs I had to remove the intake manifold and throttle body. I thought I put every thing back the same way I took it off, but apparently I did something wrong. Help please.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

best thing to do is to check everything that you took off to see if everything is hooked up right. Another thing that could be wrong is that you have the cables mixed up on the ignition coil, so check that too. Im not positive what the firing order on the v6 is, so i cant help you there
Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM

I went back and checked everything. Even put the stock wires back on. Still a no go. Stalls as soon as it cranks. I tried to tighten plugs, but i didnt wantg to over tighten. When i crank it there is heavy exhaust fumes, along with the squeel. cables are numbered so it hard to mistake those. i dont know what else to do
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

1) please use the Add Reply or Fast Reply buttons instead of quoting previous posts unless there is a very good reason to do so. We just read the last person's post once, no need to make us read it twice!

2) If you didn't check the gap on the new plugs, do yourself a favor and pull them all, and verify the gap is properly set. Doing this will also give you a chance to get inside the engine bay and have a really good general look around to see if something is obviously wrong.

3) Where is the squeal coming from? If it is from the top of the engine it is possible you did not properly tighten the spark plugs. The air in the cylinder may be leaking out the spark plug hole, making that noise. Heavy gas vapors from the engine bay would be a confirming sign. The little ring between a spark plug and the cylinder head is a crushable washer/gasket type deal. It HAS TO be smooshed down pretty good, because you are making a metal-to-metal seal against a pretty high pressure in the combustion chamber. Unless you are a gorilla, you are unlikely to be able to break a spark plug off in the head using a small handled wrench. It does feel a bit odd when you tighten spark plugs because there is obviously resistance, but it keeps turning. If it were a regular bolt, that's a similar feeling in your wrench hand as when the head is shearing off a bolt. Use a short handled wrench and one hand, and tighten the plugs a little more, see if the squeal doesn't go away.

4) does it act like it wants to run, but it just won't stay lit? Or does it not want to turn the engine at all? The latter may be a Very Bad Thing. Are you positive there aren't any hoses or connectors on the backside of something that didn't get reconnected? Triple-check that the spark plug and fuel injector wires and all vacuum lines and sensor connections are done right. If you removed any parts with gaskets, did you use new gaskets during reassembly?

5) Don't despair. Cars are simple machines and easily fixed, even if it costs a bit of money and embarrassment to have someone else fix it for you. You only changed a small number of things, so there is only a small number of possible problem sources.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Vacuum leaks after the throttle body could be your problem. Did you put new gaskets on when you put everything back together?

If you still have these issues and the wires are connected correctly I would order new gaskets and take your time putting everything back together and make sure you are using a torque wrench to tighten everything to the correct torque specs. Sometimes the intake may require you to tighten the bolts in a certain sequence so the gaskets seal properly. Check the service manual on that.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 99 Sonata

Interesting. Hard to mess up the job as you described it. Is it the belt squealing? Did something happen to cause one of the accessories to be so hard to turn that the belt slips and then the engine dies? Did you have any symptoms or problems BEFORE deciding to change plugs?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 99 Sonata

What's up with this? Did you fix it?