Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Problem With Shifting

Old 04-17-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i shift into 2nd at high rpm, its really hard to get into 2nd. it seems theres a stop point between 1st and 2nd. but under low rpms it shifts fine. will a short throw shifter help? i cut my shifter to make shorter which i think doesnt help the problem.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:07 AM

nah i dont believe a shorter shifter wont help. it sounds like ur syncros are gone. theres been previous posts coverin this, i believe.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:19 AM

It IS going to be harder to shift at high RPMS simply because there is more work for your Syncros to do. Having a shortened shifter is just exagerating the problem as it take more muscle to shift gears due to the lack of leverage.

Personally, it may look sexy, but a shortened shifter is the WORST thing you can do. Not only does it increase the amount of force you need to shift gears, but it lengthens the space between the wheel and shifter, which incrementally increases the amount of time it takes to shift. If you look at any true road race or rally car, they all TALL shifters that are very close to the wheel.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:05 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Short shifter or shortened shifter will make changing gears a bit harder (cause you need more muscle force).

It could be bad syncronizer.

I would sujest - rev much as much as possible (when shifting up and down), it will help you to shift faster and your clutch and syncros will live longer.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:45 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Oddly enough my car doesn't like to go into 2nd sometimes at low RPM. lol.gif Which really doesn't bother me at all.

You probably killed the synchros from 1st to 2nd with either misshifting way too many times from 1st to 2nd, or just taking it too high in the RPM all the time. Because of the way 1st and 2nd is geared, the synchros take a heavier load than say, shifting from 3rd to 4th.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:53 AM

i dont think its the syncros. i think it is just a matter of leverage, im going to get a STS this summer and see what happens, if it is the syncros, how much is the job to fix it?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Short throw shifters are evil... they increase wear on synchros and everything along the way to the transmission. Its a ricer invention. Go read Mad's post earlier on them, since like 5 shifting problem posts came up today. I won't bother to repeat it.

Snychros will be $300-$400 to open the tranny, and then the cost of the synchros, which aren't that expensive.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:00 PM

heh.. there is a reason I have not installed a short shifter nor do I intend to. Quickly shifting a car is only good for Drag racing.. in daily driving, I actually pause a moment between gears before sliding the shifter into the next.