Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Engine, Intake, Exhaust (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/)
-   -   Problem With Shifting (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/engine-intake-exhaust-11/problem-shifting-28017/)

mb1604 04-17-2005 12:51 AM

when i shift into 2nd at high rpm, its really hard to get into 2nd. it seems theres a stop point between 1st and 2nd. but under low rpms it shifts fine. will a short throw shifter help? i cut my shifter to make shorter which i think doesnt help the problem.

paperstsoapco 04-17-2005 01:07 AM

nah i dont believe a shorter shifter wont help. it sounds like ur syncros are gone. theres been previous posts coverin this, i believe.

Mad-Machine 04-17-2005 02:19 AM

It IS going to be harder to shift at high RPMS simply because there is more work for your Syncros to do. Having a shortened shifter is just exagerating the problem as it take more muscle to shift gears due to the lack of leverage.

Personally, it may look sexy, but a shortened shifter is the WORST thing you can do. Not only does it increase the amount of force you need to shift gears, but it lengthens the space between the wheel and shifter, which incrementally increases the amount of time it takes to shift. If you look at any true road race or rally car, they all TALL shifters that are very close to the wheel.

Dmitry 04-17-2005 03:05 AM

Short shifter or shortened shifter will make changing gears a bit harder (cause you need more muscle force).

It could be bad syncronizer.

I would sujest - rev much as much as possible (when shifting up and down), it will help you to shift faster and your clutch and syncros will live longer.

hamhead 04-17-2005 07:45 AM

Oddly enough my car doesn't like to go into 2nd sometimes at low RPM. lol.gif Which really doesn't bother me at all.

You probably killed the synchros from 1st to 2nd with either misshifting way too many times from 1st to 2nd, or just taking it too high in the RPM all the time. Because of the way 1st and 2nd is geared, the synchros take a heavier load than say, shifting from 3rd to 4th.

mb1604 04-17-2005 10:53 AM

i dont think its the syncros. i think it is just a matter of leverage, im going to get a STS this summer and see what happens, if it is the syncros, how much is the job to fix it?

hamhead 04-17-2005 11:23 AM

Short throw shifters are evil... they increase wear on synchros and everything along the way to the transmission. Its a ricer invention. Go read Mad's post earlier on them, since like 5 shifting problem posts came up today. I won't bother to repeat it.

Snychros will be $300-$400 to open the tranny, and then the cost of the synchros, which aren't that expensive.

Mad-Machine 04-17-2005 03:00 PM

heh.. there is a reason I have not installed a short shifter nor do I intend to. Quickly shifting a car is only good for Drag racing.. in daily driving, I actually pause a moment between gears before sliding the shifter into the next.