Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Power Steering Return Lines |:<

Old 06-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Came home last Friday followed by a trail of smoke. D:
Long story short I was relived to find that it wasn't oil shoot out of the back of the engine just PS fluid. I went to napa because the guy at autozone had no interest at all in helping me. He hooked me up with 1/4" transmission line and said it'll work, but finally got out there today to install it and DAMN the b**** is tight. I can only get it on about 1/3 the way then the hose start bending. Anyone know the appropriate size to use?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

1) Never go to Autozone. Autozone sucks.

2) Which lines in particular are you talking about?

Transmission lines should be fine for the power steering system as long as they fit, because the PS fluid is transmission fluid. One tip I can give is to lube the inside of the hose with spit or PS fluid, and also lube the outside of the fitting over which it slides. Then push really really hard while twisting side/side. That will get it as far on the fitting as it will ever go. If you get more than 1/2" of 1/4"ID hose on the fitting, slap a band clamp on it and call it a job. If there is a barb on the fitting, and you get 1/8 to 1/4" past that barb, and clamp it, you are probably good unless it is a very high pressure line.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM

I lubed the lines but they have a slightly smaller internal diameter. Eventually I worked the front lines on (from hardlines to cooler and from cooler to reservoir) but the one behind the engine is not going too well.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Is some of the original hose still good? Cut off a piece of that and clamp it down to the pump then find like a 2" long tube that will fit inside both lines and toss clamps on both hoses of your splice. You should be able to call it good after that. I do stuff like that all the time. cool.gif

Oh and I use liquid dish soap to lube the inside of tight fitting lines when I have issues getting them on.

HTH

Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanks Krazy! The dish soap helped..... I totally forgot about that trick. There were still a few spots that seemed WAY bigger than 1/4, but 3/8 was too big so I just did what any man would do: shout swear words and force it in place. tongue.gif

I have power steering again!
Thanx guys! laugh.gif
Old 06-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You know what? Thinking about it, I think they ARE bigger than 1/4". Probably 7mm. 3/8" is 9mm almost exactly. If you got them to go anyway, laugh.gif
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM

They would have to be at least 7mm as the lip distended my lines a little over a mm.

The real pain was the reservoir hose, I used a 3/8 which is way too small! Just thought I'd tackle that while i was feeling pumped, even thought it was a very slow leak.