Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

valve cover venting solutions

Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 turbo elantra
Default valve cover venting solutions

I am getting a little blow by in the turbo and I think I need to vent the valve cover... any solutions? I dont have a catch can either and someone recommended I get one.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

A catch can is a good idea. You should just route the current vent into the catch can. I wouldn't concern myself with routing the outlet from the catch can to the pipe before the turbo personally.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A catch can is a bad idea.

Clean your PCV drain in your valve cover. The Beta and Beta 2 engines have an internal catch can.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=oil+catch
Old 06-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

DTN, If I didnt have a catch can,I would have a lot of frapp getting back into my manifold, where she is turboed,I do suggest a can!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Catch cans are great ideas, if you set it up right. I've been running one for years on my Tib, and it NEEDED it badly.

It's only a bad idea if you don't set it up right, or cheap out.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Here's the way I did it after tons of research in several communities. The DSM and Honda community both did it generally the same way from my understanding. Since the motor is boosted it tends to build up even more positive pressure in the block/head than a n/a motor. This being the case you don't really need the PCV so just plug it(it's just emissions junk anyways). Put a barb fitting on the other one that used to run right before the TB and run it to a catch can. The pressure build up should be plenty to vent anything out too the catch can.

I ran it this way on the tib for a while, got plenty of fuel/oil mixture in there and you don't have to worry about pressurizing the block anymore. Tanc on rd got a little more extreme about it and vented straight from the valve cover like a v8 but he's planning on running way more boost. The best way would be to vent directly from the block since the pressure buildup is largely due to ring blow by. But then you could have an issue with oil splashing into it.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=32943
Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Good info from everyone.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (187sks @ Jun 23 2010, 11:14 AM)
A catch can is a good idea. You should just route the current vent into the catch can. I wouldn't concern myself with routing the outlet from the catch can to the pipe before the turbo personally.

Depending on your boost setup, routing the "stock" vent line isn't going to cut it. I've had a lot more blow-by than the stock line can handle. It's small, and restricted by the PCVV.

QUOTE (DTN @ Jun 23 2010, 12:39 PM)
A catch can is a bad idea.

Clean your PCV drain in your valve cover. The Beta and Beta 2 engines have an internal catch can.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=oil+catch

WTF dude. Bad info. That's a temporary if anything solution. And a catchcan is not a bad idea. In fact, it's required on a boost setup.

The stock valve cover has an internal BAFFLE, not an internal catch can. Oil will go right around it on a stock and boosted setup. Anyone who's looked at their intake manifold can see that.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Roger that. When i swapped to the Airram, my OEM IM was really nasty. The TB was heavily coated with a thick ring of filth at the butterfly, and the IM looked like someone murdered a octopus in there.

After swapping in my first catch can, things got better, but I had it vvented to air and the lines clogged up, leading to a mess in the engine bay.

My current dual catch can setup, while a bit expensive according to a bunch of folks, lets me run the lines like OEM, and gives me NO problems at all. Clean as a whistle.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: 2005/hyundia/elantra

can you post apic of your duel can setup?